Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2014, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #1

A Parisian

Hi dear forumers,

First, i'd like to thank you all for your involvement here on pentaxforums. It's been a pleasure to read the usefull informations you contributed to gather on this website.

Now, let me introduce myself. I'm almost an architect now (still a student for the 6 months to come), living in Paris, France. I inherited all the SLR equipment from my father a few months ago. Among other cameras, I decided to use my father's Pentax MX with the lens that came with it : the SMC Pentax-M 40mm f2.8. Although, it's not the best lens ever made by Pentax, coupled with the MX it's one of the lightest SLR setup you can think of. So it was easy to carry it around everywhere I went.

I quickly found a deep interest in Pentax SLR's (i've always been interested in photography in general). I'm not fond of cars, or motorbikes, but with these little jewels, I found something I would love to invest time and money in. I'm so impressed that these cameras are able to run without power. Also I like very much the fact that there is a mechanical explanation for everything that's happening inside the camera when you shoot. I can't say the same for my Canon DSLR or my computer which nobody can tell how they work. SLR's are very much like the finest watches (with a usefull plus to it).

And this is how I got started with Pentax.

Thanks to your reviews I was able to understand that the SMC Pentax-M 40mm wasn't the best at sharpness so my first buy was a M 50mm f1.7 (you can't say it's not sharp ), along with another MX camera (which need experts hands to be repaired (mirror locked in high position on low speeds shots, 25€ both of them, I won't complain )). And i'm now currently waiting for a 28mm f3.5 (K version) to join my 50mm, it's shipping right now ! I can't spend one day without checking all the new offers on french buy/sell website for new lenses to get ! Help me ! I'm trapped, ahah ! But, yes, I think I mainly need practice now, so i'll stick to the 28mm/50mm combo for a while, which is perfect for what I shoot (landscape, architecture, people, street). The family is slowly but surely growing ... Maybe one day i'll have as many as Gofour3 !

And here are a few pictures I took, again with the MX/40mm f2.8 setup (I had to compress them quite a lot since my internet is bad tonight, sorry for that)

Attached Images

10-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #2

Hello, welcome, and great shots! The one in the lower left (featuring a man-made beach/lake?) is my favorite. The film look really makes the shot appeal to me. I also like the lines and interplay of blue & grey of the upper right picture, which I imagine is of a castle next to the sea.
10-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Karénine Quote
Hi dear forumers,

First, i'd like to thank you all for your involvement here on pentaxforums. It's been a pleasure to read the usefull informations you contributed to gather on this website.

Now, let me introduce myself. I'm almost an architect now (still a student for the 6 months to come), living in Paris, France. I inherited all the SLR equipment from my father a few months ago. Among other cameras, I decided to use my father's Pentax MX with the lens that came with it : the SMC Pentax-M 40mm f2.8. Although, it's not the best lens ever made by Pentax, coupled with the MX it's one of the lightest SLR setup you can think of. So it was easy to carry it around everywhere I went.

I quickly found a deep interest in Pentax SLR's (i've always been interested in photography in general). I'm not fond of cars, or motorbikes, but with these little jewels, I found something I would love to invest time and money in. I'm so impressed that these cameras are able to run without power. Also I like very much the fact that there is a mechanical explanation for everything that's happening inside the camera when you shoot. I can't say the same for my Canon DSLR or my computer which nobody can tell how they work. SLR's are very much like the finest watches (with a usefull plus to it).

And this is how I got started with Pentax.

Thanks to your reviews I was able to understand that the SMC Pentax-M 40mm wasn't the best at sharpness so my first buy was a M 50mm f1.7 (you can't say it's not sharp ), along with another MX camera (which need experts hands to be repaired (mirror locked in high position on low speeds shots, 25€ both of them, I won't complain )). And i'm now currently waiting for a 28mm f3.5 (K version) to join my 50mm, it's shipping right now ! I can't spend one day without checking all the new offers on french buy/sell website for new lenses to get ! Help me ! I'm trapped, ahah ! But, yes, I think I mainly need practice now, so i'll stick to the 28mm/50mm combo for a while, which is perfect for what I shoot (landscape, architecture, people, street). The family is slowly but surely growing ... Maybe one day i'll have as many as Gofour3 !

And here are a few pictures I took, again with the MX/40mm f2.8 setup (I had to compress them quite a lot since my internet is bad tonight, sorry for that)
Bonjour Karenine,

And welcome to the Pentax Forum. As you have probably seen there are many very good photographers here who post the most beautiful pictures along with members from around the world who are happy to give you advice. I really like your two pictures of the church. Photography is such a natural hobby for an architect and I look forward to the pictures you post in the future.

Bob
10-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Quelle belle histoire de photo! I am also an architect, and started photography with Pentax. You are well on your way, and welcome to the Forum! I love the photographs, and want to know where they are taken, what is the chapelle? And where is the shot taken that is next to it, is it the same place? These are nice photographs. What film did you use?

I look forward to seeing more of your work, and respect your desire to shoot film.

David

10-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for a very nice introduction. Looking forward to seeing more of your images.
10-21-2014, 01:47 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, try and get yourself one of these, it would be ideal for you needs.

SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Also do you have any further information about that graveyard under bridge (first left image), what a modern disaster but full of intriguing photo ops I'm sure.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 10-21-2014 at 01:56 AM.
10-21-2014, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
Hi everyone ! Thanks for the nice comments ! Here are some details about the photographs :

1- Fuji Superia (400asa)
For those you may know Paris it's not the famous "Pčre Lachaise" cemetery but the "Montmartre" cemetery, which I like way more. There is a bridge, built in blue metal structure, which goes above it, see attached picture to understand !

2 - Fuji c200 (200asa)
Here is pictured the church of "Talmont sur Seudre", it's located in Charente-Maritime (France). This chruch is incredible because it has been built on a cliff. It's actually not the sea but the estuary (at his largest part) of La Garonne (The river which crosses Bordeaux, you may know it because of the wine).

3 - Fuji c200 (200asa)
As some of you guessed right, this edge belongs to the church depicted before. On photo 2 you can the edge on the left part of the photograph, the one pictured in photograph 3 is behind this part of the church.

4 - Fuji Superia (400asa)
Parc des Tuileries in the center of Paris (if you have good eyes you can see in the background one of the towers of the famous "Louvre museum").

5 - Fuji c200 (200asa)
This photograph got less attention but I like it a lot. Altough you cannot really tell by the colors of the picture, the trees are blue cedars. I kinda love this type of contemplative picture. This one is a bit too contrasty but well, it's one of my favorite. I shot it in the "Albert Khan Garden" (which is also a musuem), in Boulogne, Paris.

NB : None of these pictures suffers from post-production, that's a rule I have. If any day I post a photo which has been through PS or LR, i'll post also the original one or at least mention it. All these picture are mid-resolution scans from film.
I also did B&W and developped the film myself since we have a photo studio at the architecture school, but I have no scans available yet. Need to buy illford photo paper to print some at the studio soon.
Attached Images

10-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

"Montmartre" cemetery
Many thanks for the location update of Montmartre Cemetery, it allowed me to Google and discover all sorts of interesting things.

I'll put it on my to do list next time I'm in Paris, thanks again.

10-22-2014, 01:53 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, try and get yourself one of these, it would be ideal for you needs.

SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Also do you have any further information about that graveyard under bridge (first left image), what a modern disaster but full of intriguing photo ops I'm sure.
Hi Kerrowdown !

I live in a flat 10min by foot from this cemetery, it's really a lovely place ! And surely a good spot for a photograph serie ! I go there quite often when it's sunny in the week ends, I hope you'll enjoy it if you come by Paris. One thing though about this bridge, I don't think it's a disaster at all. On the opposit, we learn in architecture (which is also about urbanism), that only metropolises can produce this kind of awkward spaces. But I think of it rather as a strenght or a potential to create strange assortments, which indeed, to my eyes, are beautifull.

About the shift lens : I saw it in the review lense database a while ago and saw the shots by Gofour3, it seems really amazing. Since I like having vertical lines in my photos (I mean no perspective on vertical lines, I can't explain better but I think you'll get it), it would be a thrill ! But it's 500€ at least and it's for a very specific use. Thus, maybe one day, not right now ! When i'll have this kind of money (I'm still a student) i'd rather go for a complete clean-up of my MX camera first. And as stated before, I think i'll stick to the 28mm/50mm for a while, since what I need now is mainly practice !
10-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

I hope you'll enjoy it if you come by Paris
I'm sure I will now I know it's there.

about this bridge, I don't think it's a disaster at all
What I meant by that was... I'm old school and to have such a thing so close to a beautiful old cemetery kinda goes against my grain. But I can also appriate your comments and what you see in it too.

About the shift lens
Much of what this lens does can now be done in post, with the exception of removing me from reflections.