Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2014, 07:29 AM   #1

A Warm Hello from the World of Nikon

Hello all.

I've been an enthusiast Nikon DSLR user for years, but decided it was time for a change. I sold my Nikon D5100 set-up and promtly ordered a Q (along with a more "serious" camera from Panasonic, given the Q's sensor is over 13 times smaller than my APS-C sized D5100's), and I await both cameras' arrival in the post.

I still admire Nikon and think it's a fantastic camera manufacturer, but I also look forward to playing around with my Q. I ordered a Bell & Howell 25mm f1.9 cine lens with adaptor to go with my 01 standard prime. I'm interested to see how it will behave on the Q, because the sample photos in the "Adapted Lenses on the Q" thread appear to be missing.

So, do we have any other Nikon converts here?

10-28-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Personally, I dabbled a bit with the V1 but just couldn't come to grips with the ergo's - could just be a familiarity thing. Make sure you do the firmware update on the Q - it makes a massive difference in AF plus enables SR for adapted lenses (a huge deal). I am surprised at how much I've grown to love the Q and how much I use it (way more than the full kit since I literally carry the Q everywhere). It's very capable in decent light plus the filter control knob on the front just begs to be played with. Welcome to the forum and good luck w/ the cam!
10-28-2014, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #3

Welcome to the forums. I think the Q is a very interesting system and sure have it on my wishlist. With a lens adapter its crop factor would make my 300mm an incredible 1680mm. Adding the 1.4 TC to bring it to 2352 mm. Watch out, Moon, I'm gonna get you!

Have fun with your new cameras (even if one isn't a Pentax).
10-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tojeem Quote
the Q's sensor is over 13 times smaller than my APS-C sized D5100's
Remember that the Q's sensor is backlit, so the disadvantage is not as great as it seems.

Anyway, we'll look forward to seeing some photos when you're ready to post. Enjoy the forum!

10-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, have you checked out the Nikon D4s... what a cracking bit of kit, but don't tell anyone else here I said so.
10-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Tojeem ... Hope to see some images soon! Salut, J
10-28-2014, 11:31 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcoming comments everyone.

Both the Q and the Bell & Howell arrived at my doorstep today. These things are ridiculously small! I updated the firmware then called my local camera shop to ask about C-Q adapters, and the man laughed at me and told me to try eBay. Guess it's not a common combination of camera and lens. Nevertheless, I think we can safely say I'm now a Pentax lover. Having taken some photos with the Q's 8.5mm kit, it appears that this is indeed a capable camera for its size, and I look forward to attaching the Bell & Howell when I finally get my hands on an adapter.

First test shot on the Q, with thanks to my model Marty:

10-31-2014, 02:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
G'day mate and welcome to the forum