Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2008, 12:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Howdy from Cali and the western great basin...

Hey there, I'm new here... names Josh... Lured in by the lens reviews (invaluable) and the promise of a somewhat happier atmosphere than the forums over at you know where ;-), oh, and the marketplace... nice place you got here.

I live in central California, near to Yosemite (going on sunday) and work all around the west (mostly NV and UT) flying helicopters for wildland firefighting. I mostly shoot nature / landscapes, and WAY too many flowers, but what are you gonna do?

Here's a sample of few of my favorite shots from this year (finally got a K200 in March - first Digital SLR)

I hope to hang around here quite a bit in coming days, but I'm about to get busy with work so my time for photography (and hopefully my time for LBA marathons) will be somewhat less.

Good day...josh

Last edited by heliphoto; 05-25-2008 at 11:58 PM. Reason: fixed typo
05-17-2008, 02:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

G'day there and welcome,

Nice intro shots there Josh. I like image of the falls quite a lot.

People here do have real sense of community, as you say, it is nice place we have here!

Funny enough, professionally speaking, I have more than a passing relationship with the odd helitak and bomber.

My occupational hazards of A-class foam, dirt dust and smoke were one of main reasons I purchased a K10d. My poor camera back pack has a couple of melted holes in it, I'm hoping embers never quite make it to my camera!

Do you get the chance to fly over in Australia at all? Good opportunity to go to interesting foreign places, meet interesting foreign people, and then drop foam on them.

Dale
05-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Helitack...

Yeah, I used to do that on the dirt side as well. I had my first digital camera with me for the season of 2002 a fuji P&S. This one was taken behind Half Dome in Yosemite at about 0300 and it was near 0 deg. C. with big dead trees burning out and falling over the line all night. Fun fire though... our helitack squad was the first to take action.

I'd love to come down to Aus. some time... Maybe I'll get a job with some of the heavy operators who work that season as well as N. America.
05-17-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome Josh.
Why not enter the second shot in this week's mini challenge - it has the perfect subject matter.

05-17-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Welcome Josh.
Why not enter the second shot in this week's mini challenge - it has the perfect subject matter.
Thank you. I hadn't even gotten over to the challenge forum yet, so I took you up on the offer. The second shot already won me a challenge over at DPR so I've entered a different shot from the same night.
05-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice shots there!

Welcome to the board!

You fly around Nevada? Darn, one of my friends has been a wildland FF for a few years down there. He left Montreal a few weeks ago for the start of the season down there.

Take care!

Pat
05-17-2008, 09:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Nice shots there!

Welcome to the board!

You fly around Nevada? Darn, one of my friends has been a wildland FF for a few years down there. He left Montreal a few weeks ago for the start of the season down there.

Take care!

Pat
Thanks Pat. Your friend isn't Rob T. is it?

05-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Nope, Marc A. (bald, goatee, built like a brick sh!thouse, always wears a lumberjack shirt)

Gotta love the wildland stuff! I'm a career structural FF myself

Pat
05-18-2008, 05:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

WOW great shots and welcome aboard. Hope you don't shoot while your flying or if you do post some of those shots Again welcome
05-18-2008, 09:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Nope, Marc A. (bald, goatee, built like a brick sh!thouse, always wears a lumberjack shirt)

Gotta love the wildland stuff! I'm a career structural FF myself

Pat
Well, that's three firefighting Pentaxians so far, we need a subforum My only knowledge of structural firefighting is how to kick a burning doormat of a porch!

Cheers
Dale