Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #1

behind enemy lines

Hi. As an avowed vintage Olympus OM collector/user I bought a set of Pentax equipment to sell on to purchase some more Olympus stuff, or so i thought! But I can't put the Pentax lenses down, dammit! The equipment i bought was a spotmatic and Super Takumars 105mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4 (7 element version), 55mm 1.8, 28mm 3.5, 135mm 3.5. And now I can't put them down! There is something magical and tactile about them and the whole stop-down metering process, like some sacred ceremony? Can someone please explain to me what the hell is going on? Regards, Chris

10-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by csg1473 Quote
Hi. As an avowed vintage Olympus OM collector/user I bought a set of Pentax equipment to sell on to purchase some more Olympus stuff, or so i thought! But I can't put the Pentax lenses down, dammit! The equipment i bought was a spotmatic and Super Takumars 105mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4 (7 element version), 55mm 1.8, 28mm 3.5, 135mm 3.5. And now I can't put them down! There is something magical and tactile about them and the whole stop-down metering process, like some sacred ceremony? Can someone please explain to me what the hell is going on? Regards, Chris
Welcome to the world of Pentax. Don't fight it, but enjoy it and start posting some photographs.
10-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome to PF and to Pentax as well, seems to me you recognise quality and Olympus is also quality. The Takamurs are not in my collection, ( mostly K, M, A , FA, DA) but the pentax system as a whole is great, it is great to use old lenses on a DSLR the rendering and experience is unique. You have been bitten by the bug.

Please post some photos when you can. Cheers
10-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And now I can't put them down! There is something magical and tactile about them. ... Can someone please explain to me what the hell is going on?
"Just hold a Pentax!"

10-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

"Just when I thought I was out...Pentax pulled me back in." - Michael "Spotmatic" Corleone
10-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Oh, just wait until you get a hold of the FA limited lenses - known for their Pixie dust!
And the Pentax DSLRs still carry some of this. They feel more concrete than Canikon cameras of the same cost.

So I'll extend the welcome! We even have quite a few members here that use non-Pentax gear as well. And vintage Pentax lenses can be adapted quite well to Canon, Sony, m43..
10-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Chris! There is quite a following here on PF in the Takumar Club. Enjoy!
10-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome guys. I haven't tried any DSLR equipment yet, just shooting on film. I had an old ME Super lying around and bought an m42 adapter so I could use the faster shutter speed. I have certainly been bitten by the Pentax bug and using fully manual forces you to think differently. Not saying its any better or advocating it over anything else, but to me it just changes everything. I even feel my heart beat slowing down when I start to think about composing a shot. Can't explain it really, its weird. I also find myself just wanting to hold the lenses, they are just so beautifully made. Just going to sneak out now and have another hold...

10-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

please explain to me what the hell is going on
Welcome, it's the lure of the magic of the Pentax pixie dust...
10-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Chris ... Hope to see some images soon! Salut, J