Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #1

Hello from Vancouver Washington

Well, as so often happens to those afflicted with GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), I was bit by the camera bug. Again.

I grew up in the 70s and owned a few 35mm film cameras, such as an Argus Cosina and a Pentax Spotmatic with a variety of lenses. Sold most of it off a few years ago, thinking it would never be used.

Then, as my GAS affliction took hold, I decided I needed a proper, modern camera. After much research, I had settled on either a Nikon D5300 or perhaps a Canon T5i. By chance, someone on a forum mentioned the Pentax was a very good value for the feature set. Lo and behold, I bought a black (boring!) K-50 today with the 18-135 lens. I liked the articulated screens on the Nikon and Canon, but the weather resistance, and 100% viewfinder put it over the edge for the Pentax. Also, the idea of being able to use almost 1/2 century's worth of lenses was quite appealing.

Should have it by the end of the week. Yay!

I still have a few screw mount lens in the garage - all primes, but nothing too special. If I wanted a fast 35-50mm prime (say 1.4-1.8) would I be off track to get an older, manual Takumar in K mount? Are the screw mount lenses worth fooling around with?

In the olden days of vinyl, abacuses and stick shifts, we focused our own lenses. Not because we wanted, but because it was the right thing to do. Hell, my Yashica TLR didn't even have a light meter. So all this fancy boy stuff will be interesting. (I kid...)

Thanks to all on this forum for helping me out in the selection process!

10-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the Forums, and thanks for sharing your story. The older screw-mounts work well on modern Pentaxes (with a K-mount adapter, of course) as I'm sure you'll find out. The newer DA lenses can be quite addictive, though, so watch out for LBA!
10-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #3

Welcome to the forums, let's hope you won't regret your decision going Pentax.
But, yes, you do get a lot of bang for the buck with it, and the 18-135mm is a real nice glass as a walk-around. And since you have old gear to use with your K-50 I'm sure it should be good fun playing with all those toys.

Since I missed the analog era I'm no help in answering your questions, but enjoy your stay and your camera.

/edit: nitrousneal joined from Washington state today as well. Is there some sale going on over there?

Last edited by Undot; 10-28-2014 at 12:51 PM.
10-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpeedGeezerButler Quote
I still have a few screw mount lens in the garage - all primes, but nothing too special. If I wanted a fast 35-50mm prime (say 1.4-1.8) would I be off track to get an older, manual Takumar in K mount? Are the screw mount lenses worth fooling around with?
Yes, definitely!! But read this thoroughly first so you understand the limitations: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html

Also, read this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/31601-takumar-club.html There are a few people who really like Takumars!!!

You will need an adapter and I suggest getting the official Pentax one, which costs a lot more than cheap ones but always works. Some of the cheap ones are poorly made, some are fine but it is a bit of a chance to get a good one.

Takumar 50mm f/1.4 is very highly rated. One of the best ever made. However, if you want auto focus take a look at the new DA 50mm f/1.8, modern coatings, auto focus and really nice. Not the same build quality as the all metal Takumars but still a great lens.

10-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Welcome from a fellow denizen of The 'Couv. You are going to like your K-50. It is a fine camera and a pleasure to use. As jatrax noted, your screw mount lenses may be adapted to your K-50. The Pentax-brand adapter is preferred and there are a few 'gotchas that may apply with your camera, but overall the process of using these lenses on a modern camera would be familiar to anyone with experience with stop-down metering.

Steve
10-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all for the warm welcome and suggestions. I appreciate it!
10-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, your gonna fit in around here just fine, it sounds like you already met both CBA and LBA on more than just nodding terms.
10-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... Hope to see some images soon! Salut, J