Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
Forum Member

Hi, New here with my new k 50

Hi my name is Kim, I just upgraded from a canon SX 40 to my first DSLR. I am very excited and eager to learn ! While reviewing practice pics I took today on the LCD screen it was displaying a flashing yellow in some of the spots that were black in the picture. Is anyone familiar with this happening?
Any beginner tips that would help with learning this camera would be greatly appreciated

10-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the Forum Kim.
Have fun with the K50, and here is a good place to learn.
The flashing yellow areas are known as 'blinkies' (to forum users - not Pentax!)
They are a warning that areas are too dark or too light. The feature can be turned off: check through your manual/menus.
10-29-2014, 10:04 AM   #3

Hello Kim, welcome to PentaxForums!
I don't know that Canon, but non SLRs can produce pretty nifty pictures these days. Adding a mirror and changeable lenses opens a whole new world, though. Have lots of fun exploring it.

Those flashing bits on the screen can be quite distracting, but it is a useful feature to see if, and how much of the picture is clipping = lacking any useful information other than the extreme.

Oh, how come you left Canon and picked up a DSLR by Pentax?
10-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! I was using that feature for a while myself, but found it just too distracting. "Yes, I know the clouds are overexposed."

10-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I came so so close to buying a canon! I absolutey LOVE my sx40 it has such an amazing zoom and takes gorgeous pics! I will use that also when I need a bigger zoom until I save for the 55-300. But after MUCH research and learning that pentax supposedly makes a great camera for a more affordable price because they dont advertise as much as canon and nikon. So thats how I ended up with a Pentax, hoping I am happy !!
11-01-2014, 01:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Kim ... Hope to see some images soon! Salut, J
11-01-2014, 02:39 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome here and enjoy that new K50.

11-01-2014, 03:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You made an excellent decision coming into the dslr world via Pentax....this site is invaluable as you begin to choose your lenses....be sure to check the lens reviews section
11-01-2014, 04:08 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by mikshyle Quote
But after MUCH research and learning that pentax supposedly makes a great camera for a more affordable price because they dont advertise as much as canon and nikon. So thats how I ended up with a Pentax, hoping I am happy !!
That they do, and it's kinda how I ended up with my first DSLR some years ago. Plus I just love that underdog image.
Haven't regretted it since. So, much joy with your K50 and make sure to post some pictures.
11-01-2014, 07:54 AM   #10

Hi my name is Kim, I just upgraded from a canon SX 40 to my first DSLR. I am very excited and eager to learn ! While reviewing practice pics I took today on the LCD screen it was displaying a flashing yellow in some of the spots that were black in the picture. Is anyone familiar with this happening?
Any beginner tips that would help with learning this camera would be greatly appreciated
Hi KIm, Commenting on your choosing Pentax for your DSLR was the RIGHT move. 4 years ago I choose the Pentax Kx and am still thrilled to this day! I was a Canon user all my life. But the viewfinder you will find is "just right" for those of us that compose w/the viewfinder. And a word of advise! Make some enlargements(11x14's, 16x20's), you will be thrilled-"no end". I have a 20x30 I made last spring and the "Pentax" quality is out of this world!
11-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the warm welcomes :D

I am glad that I found this site and am looking forward to learning alot here! Any advice on settings for shooting football under stadium lights? My boys are seniors and have a play off game this weekend. Being their last HS season I am hoping to maybe get some good night shots. Not sure if I can do that with out a higher quality lense. 18-135. One other question I have, it took me a really long time to decide on this camera, one reason being that I really wanted the 55-300 which came in one of the camera with 2 lens kits. My dilemma was that I was reading so many review about the difference between the DA and DA L lens's. I choose to go with the DA 18-135 and save to buy the DA 55-300. But am SO MISSING my large zoom that I had with my canon sx-40. I am still in the 30 day trial period. Any comments on DA vs DA L

Thanks for any advice
Kim

Last edited by mikshyle; 11-02-2014 at 04:33 PM.
11-02-2014, 10:58 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am glad that I found this site and am looking forward to learning alot here! Any advice on settings for shooting football under stadium lights? My boys are seniors and have a play off game this weekend. Being their last HS season I am hoping to maybe get some good night shots. Not sure if I can do that with out a higher quality lense. 18-135. One other question I have, it took me a really long time to decide on this camera, one reason being that I really wanted the 55-300 which came in one of the camera with 2 lens kits. My dilemma was that I was reading so many review about the difference between the DA and DA L lens's. I choose to go with the DA 18-135 and save to buy the DA 55-300. But am SO MISSING my large zoom that I had with my canon sx-40. I am still in the 30 day trial period. Any comments on DA vs DA L

Thanks for any advice
Kim
The two lenses are the same optical formula/quality.
The 'L' model has no lens hood, has a plastic mount, and has no quick shift (manual focus override without switching the camera body to AF.)
Some would say the plastic mount may have a longevity issue: I wouldn't know. (For one thing it would depend on how often you mount/unmount the lens).
The IQ for these lenses is OK but not outstanding - for the money they are good value.
11-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Welcome! There's a K-50/K-30 subforum where you should be able to get a lot of useful information. There's also a good review by the Pentax Forum crew!