Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2014, 08:23 PM   #1

Pentax K-r focus red square missing

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering whether someone can help me with my issue. I have a K-r and recently I have upgraded the firmware from 1.0 to 1.15. Though the camera appears to be working fine after the upgrade, I have noticed that the autofocus red square is missing now. When the camera focuses I still hear the beep, but no red square. Does anybody know if there is an option in the menu to turn the red square back on? Or maybe an explanation for this?

Thank you and happy Halloween!

S

10-31-2014, 09:52 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe a custom function called "superimpose af area" controls the red LEDs. See if you can find it in the menu and then you should be good to go

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-01-2014, 01:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, S ... Hope to see some K-r images soon! Salut, J
11-01-2014, 02:31 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, Adam beat me to it, I was going to say it must an option hiding somewhere in the menus allow you to toggle this on and off.

11-01-2014, 03:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Hey, welcome!
I hope Adam's post resolves the issue. Here are other possible causes:
a) sometimes when the background is bright and busy, the LED overlays are harder to notice
b) which AF point is selected? If you have only centre point, the other ones will not light up. If you have auto 11, others might light up, but the ones on the sides still light up rather rarely
c) which AF mode? AF.S, AF.C behave slightly differently. With AF.C the overlays sort of blink in and out, staying on while focus is locked. In AF.S they just show up for a split second
If all else fails, make sure the battery is charged up, leave it out of the camera overnight, put it back in, and press the "return to defaults" in the Menu. This might invalidate your personal settings, but it would reset all the options.
11-01-2014, 08:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all for your responses. I have found "superimpose AF area" option. It was OFF for some reason. Switched back to ON and problem solved.

Thanks again!

S
11-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by srdjanmax Quote
Switched back to ON and problem solved
Happy days, a good result, that Adam knows his stuff.
11-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome and I'm glad the problem is solved!

The K-r is a good camera, there's a few quirks but it's a good camera. At current prices, it's a LOT of bang for the buck.

11-04-2014, 12:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome, here otloichnye people who can help you solve many problems associated with the camera. Actively participate in the forum, there is a very friendly atmosphere!