Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
Forum Member

Hello from Philippines!

Hello everyone!

My name is Jet Destura, call me januko in this forum and I am from the Philippines.

I join this forum because I feel that I can be at home here with all people who love photography and who love Pentax.

I am a newbie in photography (only started last October 2013) and have used a Canon digicam, the A550, however, it broke last June and having spent a lot of time studying which camera to buy, I finally made my choice. That choice is a Pentax.

What Pentax camera then? Well, I am inclined to buy the K-01 and the Q with Q-to-K adapter. I love both of these cameras for its uniqueness (and of course its price) and I love that both of these cameras can be taken everyday without being attractive to thieves and robbers. I don't mind shooting at arms length and I see these cameras as fun yet sophisticated digital cameras. I will use the K-01 for my street photography (and others like land/seascapes, macro, nature, architecture, documentary) and the Q for telephoto range using the Q-to-K adapter (that 5.5x or 4.5x magnification is so enticing!).

I don't have the cameras yet but I am so keen to buy it in few months. While saving, I will find inspiration and information here in this forum and let me tell you guys and gals, I simply love Pentax for what it is. After months of studying (sort of!) cameras and photography while I don't have my camera, Pentax is the brand that pulls my heartstrings the strongest. I think it fits my persona of being different and unique (sometimes quirky) but can't be underestimated.

With my upcoming K-01 and Q, I wish I can improve more on my composition, timing, setting, everything, and post pictures in this forum.

Thank you all and it is a great pleasure!

Last edited by Parallax; 11-01-2014 at 10:41 AM.
11-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #2

Welcome to these forums and thank you for your introduction.

I'm thinking of adding a Q to my gear for the same reasons you have. Small and, with adapter, quite a reach. Hopefully you can get your equipment soon!
I'm not sure I like your claim, that Pentax cameras aren't attractive to thieves, though. Isn't that the ultimate camera ranking?!
11-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Destura,

You have choosen the right brand.
Welcome to Pentax family.
11-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Undot Quote
... I'm not sure I like your claim, that Pentax cameras aren't attractive to thieves, though. Isn't that the ultimate camera ranking?!
LOL! Well, the K-5 and other DSLRs and other brands are serious looking. With the K-01 and the Q, I think the thieves would hesitate. LOL!

Seriously in our country, if a local is touting a DSLR or serious looking mirrorless camera alone (even in bustling cities), he or she will have a bigger probability to get robbed or have their equipment stolen. I admit I am being paranoid because I got robbed and have things stolen before.

11-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CesarPaulo Quote
Hi Destura,

You have choosen the right brand.
Welcome to Pentax family.
Thank you so much!
11-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the Forum

Really glad to have you aboard! Wondering which island/city you are from? I have been to Philippines a lot, mainly in recent days to Cebu/Danao City, since my wife is from there.

I am sure you can show us a lot of interesting things from Philippines--water buffalo in the rice paddies maybe, or some of the interesting and unique passenger vehicles.

Looking forward to seeing some of your photographs soon.
11-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I am from Iligan City, in Mindanao.

Cebu and Danao City are in Visayas (Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao - major group of islands in the country). That is far from where I live but I speak the same dialect.

Yes, I will share photographs of daily life and other things unique in my country once I have that yellow (or white) K-01 with either a DA35 AL or DA40 or DA21. I am actually badly itching to go out and shoot.

11-02-2014, 01:48 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and also welcome to photography Pentax style.
11-02-2014, 02:10 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice to hear back so quick. You would have enjoyed having lunch with me today--chicken tinola, rice, and leche flan. My brother in law, now in Danao City, worked as electric lineman in northern Mindinao. I have never been there. I have mainly been in Manila, Cebu, and various areas of Leyte.
11-02-2014, 02:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Its an interesting point you bring up, that compact cameras are safer to carry around in some urban environments....but with the k5 dropping so much in price it is definitely an attractive way to get into Pentax as well....
11-02-2014, 05:00 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum and also welcome to photography Pentax style.
Thanks! I will be learning the way of the Pentax for sure!
11-02-2014, 07:08 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Nice to hear back so quick. You would have enjoyed having lunch with me today--chicken tinola, rice, and leche flan. My brother in law, now in Danao City, worked as electric lineman in northern Mindinao. I have never been there. I have mainly been in Manila, Cebu, and various areas of Leyte.
You make me hungry! Your wife must be a good cook!

There are many places you can visit in Mindanao especially if you are into beaches, diving, and cave explorations and even food (Davao, Camiguin, Dapitan, to name a few). I admit that I also never been to most places around Mindanao because of work but that won't stop me to explore and re-explore and at that time, it would be with a camera in tow.

Mindanao though just got some flack because of, how do we put it, dangerous elements that Luzon and Visayas people are wary of. But like all places in all countries, we always exercise caution but it should not always get in the way to have fun and to shoot unique and picturesque scenes.

---------- Post added 11-02-14 at 10:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
Its an interesting point you bring up, that compact cameras are safer to carry around in some urban environments....but with the k5 dropping so much in price it is definitely an attractive way to get into Pentax as well....
The K-5 bodies or with kit lens here are still expensive unfortunately.
The K-50 here has a good price and within reach to most.
11-02-2014, 07:47 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mindinao

Yep, my wife is a wonderful cook, so good I have to watch or I start gaining weight! She has a greenhouse to grow lemon grass, peppers, and other Philippino vegetables and spices.

Yes, I know northern Mindinao is okay, just living in the far south can be risky at times.

Really looking forward to seeing photos of your area.
11-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Mabuhay and welcome to the forums.

I know that a lot of Pentax gear are made in the Philippines. You can probably grab gear over there for cheaper vs here. (:
11-02-2014, 08:06 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcom

Welcome to the best Pentax forum!