Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2014, 10:04 PM   #1

Greetings from Idaho - First Time Pentax User

I bought my first DSLR (canon) 8 years ago, but I was never too serious with it. My my leisure time revolved mainly around picking bugs out of my teeth after ride on the scoot and washing it down with beer. My camera spent more time collecting dust than it did in my hands. As a single daddy of new baby girl I needed to find a hobby that could occupy my spare time with a little one in tow. Over the past three years we have spent nearly every weekend or day off taking little day trips around Idaho. Have camera, picnic basket, and diaper bag... will travel. To date, we have just over 50 unique shoot locations that we visit and I try to find at least one new one each month.

I purchased my K-50 with 18-55mm WR Lens & 50-200mm WR Lens back in April because my favorite lens on the Canon finally died and I decided It was time to upgrade. Weather-sealed, Dustproof, Coldproof are the biggest selling points for me. The fact that it was the same color as my Glock sold me

I must say, I'm definitely loving it so far. The only real gripe that I have is that I'm not fond of the flash. It might be more because don't know what I'm doing. I prefer to shoot outdoors with natural light. Every time I feel the need to use the flash, I end up deleting the pic. I'm sure that a good external flash would help and it is on my wish list, but I would also rather spend $$$ on another lens or more storage

I have attached a few pics that I have taken with my k-50.

Attached Images

11-01-2014, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hey there!
Welcome to a very cool Pentax dedicated forum.
I can tell you now, that any questions regarding anything Pentax have been, and/or, will be answered here.
Invaluable resource. Nice set of photos too!
11-01-2014, 11:37 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome! How awesome is it that you get to spend quality time with your daughter while developing a hobby?! I'm also impressed with your ability to braid hair.

Speaking for myself, it took me a while to get around to acquiring an external flash, but once I did I wish I'd done it sooner. Learning how to manipulate light will help you become a better photographer and also increases the number of keepers since you'll be able to use a faster shutter speed to keep your wiggly little one in focus. Here's one I took indoors using an on-camera flash bounced off a nearby wall.

11-02-2014, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by idahoharleydude Quote
The fact that it was the same colour as my Glock sold me
Welcome aboard, I think that's the first time I've seen that as a deciding factor in the final purchase decision.

11-02-2014, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #5

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your introduction.

For a long time I held off on the flash, too. But ever since I got one I keep finding new ways to use it, especially as I can trigger it off-camera. And the brighter it is outside the more it helps to lighten up them dark shadows. Using flash outside in the sun sounds weird, but that's where I most use it. With a diffuser attached to it.
A reflector screen is a cheaper alternative but more obtrusive as well.
11-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!

Those pictures are great! You should be proud. Your pictures are proof that Pentax doesn't currently make any bad glass (you have the lower end glass but your pictures definitely aren't low end!)