Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #1

Introducing myself with some questions!

Hi all!

I'm looking to buy my first DSLR (I've always borrowed), and I just signed up for these forums in order to use the wonderful marketplace. I've been scouring these forums for days now, giving myself a great case of analysis paralysis.

Well, I think I may have finally settled on a used camera from the marketplace. However, it's a body-only sale. What lenses would you recommend that are great deals? When I've borrowed DSLRs, I've enjoyed using fast lenses the most, as I tend to end up wanting to shoot in lower light. My favorite lens that my brother-in-law has is the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 on his T1i (an almost ancient body!). I do also have an interest in shooting photos of my soccer team during games, but that is almost always in bright sunlight (being in Los Angeles).

Final question: Is the K30 (body only) at under $300 a better deal than $600 for the K50 with the two kit lenses? What about $600 for the K5-IIs (body only) with the battery grip and memory card? I'm thinking the K30 gets me the most for my money and lets me choose my lenses better, but I wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks to all,
-Will

11-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by d0riath Quote
Hi all!

I'm looking to buy my first DSLR (I've always borrowed), and I just signed up for these forums in order to use the wonderful marketplace. I've been scouring these forums for days now, giving myself a great case of analysis paralysis.

Well, I think I may have finally settled on a used camera from the marketplace. However, it's a body-only sale. What lenses would you recommend that are great deals? When I've borrowed DSLRs, I've enjoyed using fast lenses the most, as I tend to end up wanting to shoot in lower light. My favorite lens that my brother-in-law has is the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 on his T1i (an almost ancient body!). I do also have an interest in shooting photos of my soccer team during games, but that is almost always in bright sunlight (being in Los Angeles).

Final question: Is the K30 (body only) at under $300 a better deal than $600 for the K50 with the two kit lenses? What about $600 for the K5-IIs (body only) with the battery grip and memory card? I'm thinking the K30 gets me the most for my money and lets me choose my lenses better, but I wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks to all,
-Will
If you can find a nice used k-30, that would be a real camera that you can grow on for a while... find me another entry level camera with two dials and weather resistant features.... If you can also get a 50f1.7 manual focus lens for cheap, even off brand 55f1.4 you are off to the races and discover the whole new world of photography at an affordable price. Good luck and welcome to the forum...
11-06-2014, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome! I just sent you a PM, lets get together at your convenience and you can try the K-3, K-5, K-30 and a few lenses to see what you like.
There's nothing like touching and seeing them in person
11-06-2014, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi all!

My favorite lens that my brother-in-law has is the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 on his T1i (an almost ancient body!).

Thanks to all,
-Will
I think a much better deal is a brand new K-50 for $396 with a free Pentax flash and a $50 Adorama Gift certificate. Why - You get a warranty and the K-50 and K-30 are nearly identical. Plus for $20 more you can extend that warranty for 2 more years. And oh yea, and you can bundle that new DA 50/1.8 lens for $117. So for a little over $500 you could have a brand new camera and a fast $50 and a flash, plus $50 for whatever.

11-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

.... I've enjoyed using fast lenses the most, as I tend to end up wanting to shoot in lower light. My favorite lens that my brother-in-law has is the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 on his T1i (an almost ancient body!). I do also have an interest in shooting photos of my soccer team during games, but that is almost always in bright sunlight (being in Los Angeles).

Evening Will and Welcome to the Forum!

Several items here. You say you like to shoot in low light - but what type of shooting? People, street scenes, astrophotography, cityscapes, night clubs, etc? That would help on the type of lens. Also, you really do not need a fast lens to shoot cityscapes, or some street scenes, etc. You need a fast lens in order to freeze motion - no (or little) motion, then you can go with a slower lens.

For sunny soccer, just about any moderate long lens will do pretty well there. Like the 55-300. Really depends on how close to the action you are usually are.

Right now the K30 at $300 would be a really good buy. Bodies depreciate fairly rapidly - money into lenses has a much longer longevity.

I see that Crew has PM you - listen to his advice, he will not steer you wrong..... I just read Tom's post - his approach and suggestions also have a lot of merit. Depends on your checkbook and what your intentions are....

11-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Evening Will and Welcome to the Forum!

Several items here. You say you like to shoot in low light - but what type of shooting? People, street scenes, astrophotography, cityscapes, night clubs, etc? That would help on the type of lens. Also, you really do not need a fast lens to shoot cityscapes, or some street scenes, etc. You need a fast lens in order to freeze motion - no (or little) motion, then you can go with a slower lens.

For sunny soccer, just about any moderate long lens will do pretty well there. Like the 55-300. Really depends on how close to the action you are usually are.

Right now the K30 at $300 would be a really good buy. Bodies depreciate fairly rapidly - money into lenses has a much longer longevity.

I see that Crew has PM you - listen to his advice, he will not steer you wrong..... I just read Tom's post - his approach and suggestions also have a lot of merit. Depends on your checkbook and what your intentions are....

I would mostly shoot people and street scenes. The people would probably be moving, too, and so I'd need a faster lens.

For soccer, I'm usually on the sidelines (I play as well). We only play on half fields, and so I would probably only need 200, though from my reading, the 55-300 is better.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far! I think I'm going to go for the K30 (it's actually < $300) and use the rest of the money on lenses. Buying new is always nice, but California/L.A. sales tax bumps up the price a significant amount.

I'm trying to decide if a 50mm or a somewhat-long (~200-300?) zoom should be my first lens purchase. It probably all depends on prices, so maybe I can pick them both up if prices are reasonable. My budget would probably be $400 for two lenses right now, but I'm flexible.
11-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could look for the 18-135 used, then decide what kind of primes or other lenses you'd like to use. I'm pretty sure there's some good values in the Marketplace right now.

For instance:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/278152-sal...s-l-plate.html

You could get the 50mm f1.8 and the 18-135 for about $400. Then keep an eye open for some manual lenses to play with.

Last edited by TER-OR; 11-07-2014 at 02:10 PM.
11-09-2014, 03:24 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, you should be pleased with nearly any of the "nifty fifties", remember there's many manual focus versions out the too at very affordable money.
11-09-2014, 03:48 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would mostly shoot people and street scenes. The people would probably be moving, too, and so I'd need a faster lens.

For soccer, I'm usually on the sidelines (I play as well). We only play on half fields, and so I would probably only need 200, though from my reading, the 55-300 is better.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far! I think I'm going to go for the K30 (it's actually < $300) and use the rest of the money on lenses. Buying new is always nice, but California/L.A. sales tax bumps up the price a significant amount.

I'm trying to decide if a 50mm or a somewhat-long (~200-300?) zoom should be my first lens purchase. It probably all depends on prices, so maybe I can pick them both up if prices are reasonable. My budget would probably be $400 for two lenses right now, but I'm flexible.
As the Kerrowdown posted 50mm can be pretty inexpensive. Try looking for a manual lens like the M 50/f2. You should be able to find one - probably with an old film camera attached for about $50. For soccer, the 55-300 is difficult to beat. To help limit the cost, look for the DAL version used on the marketplace here.

11-09-2014, 07:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Welcome to PF. There are a lot of great old lenses available in Pentaxland. Once you start collecting them it is hard to stop. Have fun!
11-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I've picked up the K30 body from Crew, and now I'm on to picking out my lenses. I'm scouring the marketplace everyday!

I'm sure I'll have many questions in the future, but I'll do my best to search before I post.
11-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #12

welcome!
11-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Welcome. I just do not like giving advice on what to buy. Go out and look, listen and touch. And if you have the chance, try it out. Buy what you want, but do your homework.