Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-07-2014, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hello, world! And buying a 35mm film SLR...

Nie to meet you all. I've been anonymously lurking for several weeks and only signed up today. I came across the forum doing research on buying a 35mm SLR camera to learn about photography. My primary camera these days is my iPhone (is that blasphemy around these parts?) but as a teenager I had a little digital point-and-shoot that I used until the battery died and a new one couldn't be bought anymore.

The most important things to me in buying any device that I'll be hauling around for a while is ease of use and size/weight. I have small hands, even for a woman, and some of the classics feel too big and heavy in my grip. I tried out a Canon AE-1 at a local camera shop and I felt like I was wielding a brick. The Minolta X-700 seems managable, but I loved the size and look of a Pentax ME that another local camera shop has for sale. I decided not to buy it because a fully manual mode seems like it's a must for learners like me. From all the reading I've done, it sounds like the ME Super might be a great choice, but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

11-07-2014, 11:40 PM   #2

I have the Pentax ME. The auto exposure is very accurate, but for learning the ME Super is better. The advantage is that it is a very small and lightweight camera, which you can carry all the time with you, and also cheap. Definitely advised for a beginner for learning.
11-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums! iPhone as main camera? Nah, not blasphemy. But it definitely wouldn't be the tool I'd choose

I think it's hard to find anything smaller than an ME Super with full manual. The SuperA and ProgramA are about the same size and only slightly heavier (490g vs 445g according to Bojidar Dimitrov). They should all be fairly easy to find. The K1000 is quite popular as a learner's camera but also bigger and heavier than all of the above.

Good luck!
11-09-2014, 05:01 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chiaroscuro Quote
My primary camera these days is my iPhone (is that blasphemy around these parts?)
Welcome aboard, it's good to stop lurking as now you can join in everywhere. As for iPhone the short answer is... the best camera you have is the one in your hand at the time.

I've had a front page with an iPhone image, but don't tell everyone.

11-09-2014, 07:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF. I use my iPhone pretty often. I got an ME Super in the 80's and I still use it to this day. Great camera and mine has held up really well.