Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #1

Asahi Pentax

What ever happened to the Asahi Pentax connection.
Or are they still connected. I thought that was a good camera back then.

11-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Asahi Optical company was the owner of the "Pentax" brand for a long time. Somewhere along the line the company was renamed "Pentax" after the brand. Then the company was bought out by Hoya and then sold to Ricoh. Today "Pentax" is a brand name owned by Ricoh.
11-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Asahi Optical Company (AOC) created the Pentax brand name for their cameras around 1957. Until then their cameras were called Asahiflex.

For the next about 20 years the cameras were marketed (in most markets) as Asahi Pentax. Gradually they dropped the Asahi name from the camera names for eventually to rename the company to Pentax Corporation and the cameras were marketed as Pentax. The company underwent several changes and in 2012 it was acquired by RICOH. Today Pentax is back to being a brand name now owned by RICOH, and not a company name.

A Pentax camera is still a good camera and it is compatible with almost all lenses manufactured in the past for Asahi Pentax cameras.
11-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, you're making me feel my age as I remember Asahi Pentax name on cameras.

11-16-2014, 09:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
I really liked the Pentax but it was more than I could afford.
I got instead a Minolta SRT 101. Which was way better than my old camera but not considered to be the best. I liked it a lot. It was built like a tank. I am not kidding it took an incredible amount of pounding. It is on display at the National Museum Of The Marine Corp. You can check out the photos it took. Just just go to Corbis and type in Dave Powell Khe Sanh and they have ten pix there you can see.
11-17-2014, 04:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hollywood6 Quote
I got instead a Minolta SRT 101. Which was way better than my old camera but not considered to be the best. I liked it a lot. It was built like a tank.
The SRT-101 was the first SLR that I used when my brother bought one and the rare occasions when he'd let me use it. I loved the needle match system, the bayoonet mount and auto-stop down. Relatives and friends that had Spotmatics had the pre-auto stop-down models and were not as convenient to use. I had been a Minolta fan since then but never switched over to auto-focus.

Awesome photos by the way.
11-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #7

Original Poster
it made me smile when you mentioned the needle match system. I loved the needle match system to. And the back lighted feature. it had a lot of neat features about it. But the main thing about it was it never failed me. No matter what I put it through. And it went through a lot. including being completely ripped out of my hand and landing far away from me in an explosion. Picked it up and check it out and it was fine. You have to laugh when you think of how careful we are with our current cameras
11-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the information on the asahi pentax.

---------- Post added 11-18-14 at 12:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The SRT-101 was the first SLR that I used when my brother bought one and the rare occasions when he'd let me use it. I loved the needle match system, the bayoonet mount and auto-stop down. Relatives and friends that had Spotmatics had the pre-auto stop-down models and were not as convenient to use. I had been a Minolta fan since then but never switched over to auto-focus.

Awesome photos by the way.
thank you for the words on the photos. Appreciate it