Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #1

Greetings, fellow humans.

Hi,
I hail from a cold little town in Northern Germany and I am an office clerk doing HR and controlling stuff (yes, I am evil. And bearded. So, really evil).

13 month ago, I bought my K-30. I haven't had a DSLR before and my old EXA500 is a nice piece in the cabinet - and nothing else. Click&shoot did not yield the results I was interested in anymore. Also photography always fascinated me as a child. So I decided, it is time for a DSLR. I checked some tests and reviews, and finally bought the K-30 kit with the 18-55 and 50-200mm.

Since then I got a whole bunch of lenses - mostly from the bronze ages, since one reason why I went Pentax is the huge amount of affordable, old lenses, and found my little niche.

I suck at portraits and my attempts at landscapes were boring at best, but macro is something that results in presentable pictures I actually enjoy taking.

10 days ago, I bought me the 100mm f2.8 MACRO - since the Asahi smc Pentax 50mm M 1.7 + macro/extension-rings weren't 'enough' for me anymore.

Oh, yeah... a K-3 is planned as a Christmas present for myself.

Joined the forums because I had started to read more and more.. so why not join if you spend so much time reading stuff anyway.

So.. yeah.. hm.. I hope I don't make an ass out of myself and.. well, we will see, won't we?

11-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from a cold little town in Northern Illinois (settled by Germans and Scottish).

I have the FA100 f2.8 macro and use it a lot, it's one of the features which drew me back into the SLR world. I bought a used K10 and upgraded a few years ago to a K5. You'll love working with the 100mm, and start researching how to get more light.

The allure of the "glass-and-brass" of the old lenses is the other draw. Yeah, there's something special about some of those manual lenses - though part of it is we have to pay attention to the basics, so I think the images are better to start with.
11-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for your welcome,

'more light' is not the problem, with two flash units

'Steady hand', is more of an issue because often enough the tripod is in the car.

But yes, there is something very satisfying using an old, manual 135mm or 70-150mm zoom (not pentax lenses...) or that Asahi 50mmm from above: You did it yourself. On the other hand, if you missed focus, nobody else is to blame

I think those old lenses also have their own... charm. Their colours and contrasts are less perfect which can result in more organic results. On the other hand the 'perfect' pictures of the DFA 100 are real eye openers for sure.
11-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll find plenty of macro shots in my Flickr account. If you like insects and plants, that is...

11-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #5

Original Poster
yes and yes

plants don't run away. Insects have so many details... and even an ugly bug becomes majestic with enough magnification.

Wow, you got some mighty fine shots there.

My flickr stream is here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/volker_a_hemmann/

not very impressive, but I am working on it.
11-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome. It is damn cold here in Pennsylvania. Let's see some pics.
11-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome aboard and I hope Santa brings you that K3, as long as your not his naughty list.
11-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #8

Original Poster
As I said, HR-stuff. I thing 'naughty' does not even start to describe it. But I plan to hide behind someone else, maybe it works.

11-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
Welcome. It is damn cold here in Pennsylvania. Let's see some pics.

yes sir! As ordered, I uploaded four in the (hopefully) apropriate sub-forum!
11-22-2014, 04:19 AM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
plan to hide behind someone else, maybe it works
Good luck with that one.