Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
G'day mate and welcome to the forum

MF is the real FF
Could not agree more! Welcome to the forum.

12-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardoserpa Quote
Hi there, and a short introduction to the forum..... I took a D810 to South Africa....So after reading quite a lot about the 645z, and having tried one at B&H in NY a couple of weeks ago, I made my mind and made the decision to start a new photographic chapter as a Pentax shooter. Feeling very excited with it, and already planning a next motorcycle trip for 2015. For those interested in knowing a bit more of my work, please be very welcome to the website, and thanks for reading!
Welcome Ricardo, it is great to have a photographer of your caliber joining the PF and also reasoning upon the 645Z as fit for purpose for high end work. I had a look at your blog and the photo excursions that you offer. Impressive work and a wonderful concept.

I suspect you already know this but some of the best coastal rides in the world are around Cape Town, but then in South Africa you can be a bit spoilt for choice. Looks like you did a fair recce already. Good luck with your project.
12-08-2014, 12:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums, if you come up to Alaska I've got garage space and the first round.
12-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardoserpa Quote
Hi there, and a short introduction to the forum. I'm a Brazilian photojournalist living in Florida for the past 15 years. I'm moving to medium format and chose the 645z after much research, planning on use it in a somewhat unusual way for my travel and fine art work. The "unusual" part comes from the fact that most of my work nowadays come from long distance road trips on my motorcycle, and the 645 system is not an obvious candidate for this kind of road traveling, I guess.

After having completed two major trips in 2013 and 2014, both from South Florida to Alaska and back, and a shorter one in September through South Africa, I came to the conclusion that it is the right choice, though, despite the size and the weight. In 2013, I spent close to 3 months on the road and took an Olympus O-MD E-M5 with me, with a handful of lenses. Great little system, but with files that turned out to be way too small for what I was planning to do with them after the trip was completed. For my fine art work, I print fairly large sizes, around 6' on the widest size, and the Micro 4/3 just won't do. For this year's trip, I brought along a new Sony a7/A7r system, and the files were much more usable, but still fell short when enlarged the way I wanted them. The system is also on its infancy and I didn't get used to the whole mirrorless approach.

I have been a Nikon loyal user for the past 30 years, and I took a D810 to South Africa. A fantastic camera for sure, but I tried to enlarge a beautiful file and the limitations were very apparent. I've bee using Photoshop since 1994, so I thought I knew a trick or two to enlarge digital images, but it's clear now that even the best methods still have their limitations.

So after reading quite a lot about the 645z, and having tried one at B&H in NY a couple of weeks ago, I made my mind and made the decision to start a new photographic chapter as a Pentax shooter. Feeling very excited with it, and already planning a next motorcycle trip for 2015. For those interested in knowing a bit more of my work, please be very welcome to the website, and thanks for reading!
I love your website, Ricardo. Be wary of vibration effects when carrying any camera on a MC. Small screws can vibrate loose, even with BMW bikes. I had the entire front loosen up on a Yashica 124G.

03-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #20

Original Poster
Hi there, and thanks once again for the many warm welcomes! I've finally had some time on the field with the 645z, having just completed a 2-week motorcycle tour of Argentina, Chile and Peru. I was working as a tour leader for a big group of riders, so there's not much free time left to photograph as I would normally have, but I still managed to use the 645z a little. I've posted these first shots here, in case anyone would be interested in checking them out: Argentina, Chile and Peru – March 2015
03-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #21
Site Supporter

MC Tour with Z

I very much appreciate your photographic talent. Excellent work!
03-17-2015, 12:00 PM   #22

Great images. Very kind of you to share your experiences. Not many photographers on your level do that. Great to see that Pentax is gaining some ground amongst professionals.