Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #1

hey everybody :D

hey all! My names Ray, I've just recently got interested in photography and the like within the past year or so. Just been using my camera phone and whatnot for the time being. I've been looking into dslr's recently and up until a day or two ago, I was pretty sold on a t3i(pretty good bang for your buck on an entry level dslr). That is until I compared it with the k30/k50/k5 and whatnot, and pentax out does the t3i with the exception of an external mic jack, the k50 and lower/mid level pentax's don't have one i believe. idk. but either way I don't need one as badly because video/audio isn't my main interest as of now, stills are.

So that led me here. Stumbled upon this site throughout my googling 'pentax' adventures.

I apologize if I ramble, I don't have anyone to talk photography with lol. And forgive me if I use a camera term or something in the wrong context still learning of course

11-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #2

Hello! My history is similar, phone first, K-50 then. I don't know if it's a question but K-50 does not have the external mic input. Anyway, I believe it's a good entry level DSLR but it depends on what you already know
11-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elieli87 Quote
Hello! My history is similar, phone first, K-50 then. I don't know if it's a question but K-50 does not have the external mic input. Anyway, I believe it's a good entry level DSLR but it depends on what you already know
oh nice! How do you like it ? And yeah it was like one of those borderline question like statements lol, so thanks for confirming the mic situation
11-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums!

Normally, one would buy into a system for the lenses. We Pentaxians happen to know what many others do not: that the Pentax K mount has the best and most extensive line of SLR lenses spanning decades.

So as for a body, what's your price range? If you want to start your photographic journey a little more frugally to be sure it's something you will want to invest in, you can find a used Pentax K-r for under $200 on eBay. It is still a fantastic body with great image quality.

11-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The T series is really outdated now, their sensors are old and the build is not great. They're OK, and if you know how to shoot you'll get good images with those cameras.
That said, the K50 beats it in every category.

I'm partial to the K5 because of its top LCD display and the 14-bit recording which gives more dynamic range. The learning curve is about the same for the K50 and K5. Focus on the basics, as with anything. It's a fun hobby you get to share with lots of people should you choose.
11-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
Welcome to the forums!

Normally, one would buy into a system for the lenses. We Pentaxians happen to know what many others do not: that the Pentax K mount has the best and most extensive line of SLR lenses spanning decades.

So as for a body, what's your price range? If you want to start your photographic journey a little more frugally to be sure it's something you will want to invest in, you can find a used Pentax K-r for under $200 on eBay. It is still a fantastic body with great image quality.
Ah yes, I'm still learning about the glass but that's great to know pentax has good glass, at a good price from what I've been noticing. As for the body price range, im thinking 300-350. Hmm the K-r doesn't seem too bad, but it's not weather sealed is it ? Is weather sealing that BIG of a difference ? I live in the desert kinda and it tends to get real dusty in some areas, plus I do a lot of outdoorsy things. Is getting a camera that's weather sealed something to consider or no ?

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The T series is really outdated now, their sensors are old and the build is not great. They're OK, and if you know how to shoot you'll get good images with those cameras.
That said, the K50 beats it in every category.

I'm partial to the K5 because of its top LCD display and the 14-bit recording which gives more dynamic range. The learning curve is about the same for the K50 and K5. Focus on the basics, as with anything. It's a fun hobby you get to share with lots of people should you choose.
I see. hm yeah the k5 is nice, more expensive tho right ? I need to find a good balance of quality and longevity and price. Don't have many opportunities as of late to spend much money on a hobby, so it might have to last me a while lol.

Thanks so far for everyone's input
11-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by killaR Quote
hm yeah the k5 is nice, more expensive tho right
Barely- it's $546 right now, and that includes a grip that could easily be re-sold for $100-150. The K-50 is $396 with a free $50 gift card.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Barely- it's $546 right now, and that includes a grip that could easily be re-sold for $100-150. The K-50 is $396 with a free $50 gift card.
Awesome thanks for the heads up and the links, I will definitely keep the k5 in mind
11-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Is weather sealing that BIG of a difference ? I live in the desert kinda and it tends to get real dusty in some areas, plus I do a lot of outdoorsy things. Is getting a camera that's weather sealed something to consider or no ?
If you need the weather sealing then go for the K-50. You can't beat it for the price. Just remember that you'll need a weather sealed lens for it to be affective.
11-21-2014, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
If you need the weather sealing then go for the K-50. You can't beat it for the price. Just remember that you'll need a weather sealed lens for it to be affective.
Great! Thanks for reassuring me on the k-50 and the reminder about the lens. I'm suppose to be picking up a k-50 with a 18-55 wr kit lens come monday, lets see how that goes
11-21-2014, 11:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Great! Thanks for reassuring me on the k-50 and the reminder about the lens. I'm suppose to be picking up a k-50 with a 18-55 wr kit lens come monday, lets see how that goes
Congratulations!
11-22-2014, 05:10 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, there's plenty of folk here keen to talk photography until the cows come home.
11-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #13

Original Poster
Congratulations!
hey thanks! Yeah i'm pretty excited

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, there's plenty of folk here keen to talk photography until the cows come home.
haha awesome. Well this place seems very friendly and helpful so far, good bunch of people.