Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2014, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Greetings All

Retired and just about to begin my journey with DSLR. Up to this point have done a lot of work for friends post processing with Photoshop, Camera Raw and Lightroom. But have been wanting to get out into the real world and shoot. Just ordered a K10D. Looks like a good quality starter with plenty of variables and I'm not really interested at this point in anything over 10 mp, video or live view. I particularly liked the fact of being able to use some of the older manual lenses. I do have a question:
Will I need to get some kind of adapter for K mount or 42 mm thread mount?
Thanks.

11-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to Pentax Forums. Your choice of a K10D as a starter DSLR is one that many here will applaud for its image quality and for its ergonomics.
Older manual Pentax lenses come in two varieties, K-mount bayonet and M42 screw thread. You will only need an adapter for the M42 lenses, but be careful where you choose one from if it is non-Pentax made. Others are cheaper than than the OEM, but some of them do not allow infinity focus, and others do not fit properly.
Good luck with your new kit and let us know how you're going, with posted photos and as many questions as you like.
11-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I see that's your question answered already, so I'll just say welcome to the forum.
11-22-2014, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #4

Greetings all

hello my name is itai i am a Director and DP working from Amsterdam , i shot on Pentax spotmatics i am head over heals in love with Pentax glass especially the m42 era which i shoot some of my films on , and i also work as a portrait photographer , this forum has Taught me a lot on lenses and i hope i can help and advise other people cheers and hello from holland .

11-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by itai2403 Quote
Greetings all
Welcome to you, enjoy the forum.
11-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome to both of you! Enjoy the resources of this forum and feel free to post a photo or two when you are comfortable

QuoteOriginally posted by grnhrn Quote
Will I need to get some kind of adapter for K mount or 42 mm thread mount?
K-mount, no adapter needed. But if the lens is older than AF, it won't have AF (might still allow catch in focus, aka focus trapping). If it is older than auto-aperture, it won't have that (auto aperture is when the aperture is selected with the dials on the camera body, instead of the aperture ring on the lens).
m42 needs an adapter, but it is glassless so there is no loss in quality. You can get really cheap adapters online, but if they are poorly machined they might prevent focusing to true infinity, or even (worst case scenario) get stuck. The genuine Pentax adapter is the best one, doesn't require any tools and its safe.

Here is one of the threads that explains using older lenses in more detail:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html