Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-25-2014, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #1

Greetings from the South

Hi y'all, I've been linked to a few threads by my good friend unixrevolution, who is also the responsible party for getting me back into photography about a year ago. I've spent many years as the designated photographer for various groups and gatherings, but thanks to him I've finally upgraded beyond just a point and shoot. I mostly do landscape photography and love any excuse to go out in nature with a camera in hand.

11-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard, you're in good company here.
11-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MotherHen Quote
Hi y'all, I've been linked to a few threads by my good friend unixrevolution, who is also the responsible party for getting me back into photography about a year ago. I've spent many years as the designated photographer for various groups and gatherings, but thanks to him I've finally upgraded beyond just a point and shoot. I mostly do landscape photography and love any excuse to go out in nature with a camera in hand.
Welcome aboard!

I am proud to claim all responsibility for you being here, MotherHen
11-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome MotherHen, glad to see you interested in photography, and especially Pentax!

Erik, the forum should pay you a bounty for getting MotherHen here!

11-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Welcome MotherHen, glad to see you interested in photography, and especially Pentax!

I accept cash, charge, Paypal, film, and old cameras as payment
11-25-2014, 01:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote

Ha ha ha, thanks! Pentax is what I started learning on with my Dad's K1000 at a very early age, and now I have my very own to enjoy, as well as the digitals.

Erik's just happy to have somebody to drag him out to new places and hike all over a mountainside with
11-25-2014, 01:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MotherHen Quote
Ha ha ha, thanks! Pentax is what I started learning on with my Dad's K1000 at a very early age, and now I have my very own to enjoy, as well as the digitals.

Erik's just happy to have somebody to drag him out to new places and hike all over a mountainside with
Having someone who understands why you want to hike, literally, down a whole mountain taking photos, is truly wonderful.

11-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Having someone who understands why you want to hike, literally, down a whole mountain taking photos, is truly wonderful.
I just wanted to hike and had decent point and shoot photos. Now I can hike and take photos that do the views justice. I am looking forward to summer on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
As for the rest of y'all, I'll explain it in my favorite quote from my dad when he first started teaching me...

One does not simply take a photograph, one takes a memory.

And with y'all's helpful tips and tricks, I can continue to hone my skill and talents, especially when I get volunteered to do things I'm not particularly good at, which is portrait photography. (Gotta love coworkers who think that portrait photography is just like landscape photography but with people in it!)
11-26-2014, 06:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look into a sling strap. I find them more comfortable and more secure than the standard straps. Joby makes a couple nice sling straps, one is easily adjustable via a clip.

Yeah, photography has specialties just like any hobby. I have a niece and nephew who do portraits, weddings, journalism etc. and they're great at that. I bring my gear and my nephew enjoys taking the 100mm macro around photographing tiny things. He also likes how easy it is to use manual lenses on my K5.
11-26-2014, 07:19 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Look into a sling strap. I find them more comfortable and more secure than the standard straps. Joby makes a couple nice sling straps, one is easily adjustable via a clip.

Yeah, photography has specialties just like any hobby. I have a niece and nephew who do portraits, weddings, journalism etc. and they're great at that. I bring my gear and my nephew enjoys taking the 100mm macro around photographing tiny things. He also likes how easy it is to use manual lenses on my K5.
I will do that, always looking for things for birthday and Christmas lists. The upside of being an adult, picking out my own Christmas gifts (at least I know I'll like it!)

I only have manual lenses as of yet, but so far I'm rather happy with them and we've learned each other and the pictures are turning out lovely. But we will see, I'm doing her baby shower first so she can make a final decision before she hates the more formal ones from me.
11-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you did get a weatherproof body, I recommend the 18-135 WR lens. It's a degree of comfort having the system sealed up, plus it's a very versatile lens. You can usually find one used for around $300.

Manual lenses will make you take time, which usually pays off in image quality when you do nail focus. Remember those rules when you use automatic lenses, it will pay dividends.
11-26-2014, 09:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If you did get a weatherproof body, I recommend the 18-135 WR lens. It's a degree of comfort having the system sealed up, plus it's a very versatile lens. You can usually find one used for around $300.

Manual lenses will make you take time, which usually pays off in image quality when you do nail focus. Remember those rules when you use automatic lenses, it will pay dividends.
The camera body she has is a K100D that, actually, is one of my hand-me-downs. It is not weather sealed...and I speak for both her and I when I say that $300 is $300 out of budget right now.

I learned on Manual lenses and a K1000, so that's what she started off with, too, and the lessons learned when you have to take your time are well worth it.
11-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, that's a good camera for a starter - the sensor is good. My first DSLR was a K10 I bought used, and it produced great images on bright days. I installed a split-focus screen in that camera to use manual lenses more easily. I got some very good images with an old M50 f/2 on that camera. The old manual zooms were tougher to use.

Keep an eye open on Craigslist for manual lenses if you ever get the itch to try something like a 100mm. Usually it's the same old stuff but once in a while a nice A-series lens pops up which is worth thinking about. The other thing to watch for are Promaster lenses on film bodies. I found a 28-105 attached to some automatic film Pentax which is really nice, and the combo only cost me $35. It can be labeled Pentax or Promaster, from what I've read. That would give you a nice autofocus zoom for cheap.

Last edited by TER-OR; 11-26-2014 at 10:11 AM.
11-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Ah, that's a good camera for a starter - the sensor is good. My first DSLR was a K10 I bought used, and it produced great images on bright days. I installed a split-focus screen in that camera to use manual lenses more easily. I got some very good images with an old M50 f/2 on that camera. The old manual zooms were tougher to use.

Keep an eye open on Craigslist for manual lenses if you ever get the itch to try something like a 100mm. Usually it's the same old stuff but once in a while a nice A-series lens pops up which is worth thinking about. The other thing to watch for are Promaster lenses on film bodies. I found a 28-105 attached to some automatic film Pentax which is really nice, and the combo only cost me $35. It can be labeled Pentax or Promaster, from what I've read. That would give you a nice autofocus zoom for cheap.
I happen to have a 28-105 Promaster that is in my outgoing lenses pile...

But I was thinking she already has a fan-bloody-tastic manual 28-70 2.8-4 made by Tokina...so perhaps a cheap 18-55 kit lens would be a good addition to get some wide-angle in on the cheap. The 28's equivalent AOV to a 42mm lens in 35mm terms isn't so great for the wide stuff.
11-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I happen to have a 28-105 Promaster that is in my outgoing lenses pile...

But I was thinking she already has a fan-bloody-tastic manual 28-70 2.8-4 made by Tokina...so perhaps a cheap 18-55 kit lens would be a good addition to get some wide-angle in on the cheap. The 28's equivalent AOV to a 42mm lens in 35mm terms isn't so great for the wide stuff.
There's no substitute for wide angle, for sure. Zooms are convenience, that kit lens should be fine on the K100. Plus, sometimes the convenience of an autofocus lens trumps the artistic considerations of manual. Plus, all the lessons learned via manual apply with auto.