Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hello, a newbie here, on a pursuit of new K-5

Hello All,
I am glad to have found this site, and have already read many threads about good lenses, etc. Right now, I am slightly out of luck, looking for a new, warrantied K-5, which seems to have fallen of the planet earth...I had a good lead on pentaxwebstore, for 599$/body only, but by the time I was ready to buy, they discontinued it today:-( So although I do not have my camera yet, I am a Pentaxian at heart looking forward to grab one soon.

Kat

11-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's $496 actually, and still available!

Pentax K-5 IIs Black Friday Deal: Just $496 - Deals and Savings | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-25-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
But isn't this type different from the K-5? Actually you took my thoughts:-) I wanted to ask that question next. Whether K-5 and the other versions of K-5 are very different from each other...Thank you!
11-25-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KatPal Quote
But isn't this type different from the K-5? Actually you took my thoughts:-) I wanted to ask that question next. Whether K-5 and the other versions of K-5 are very different from each other...Thank you!
You want the K5iis. It's the same as the K5 only upgraded. Better.....no anti aliasing filter so the images are a bit sharper.

11-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
You want the K5iis. It's the same as the K5 only upgraded. Better.....no anti aliasing filter so the images are a bit sharper.
Wow, thank you Driline and Adam, you just might have made my day better...now I know I am not lost without K-5! I will post an update once I get the camera:-)
11-26-2014, 06:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember you can look for purchases used gear, too. Lenses in particular are a good choice used.
11-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you've got the start you needed now to get "stuck in".

11-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you've got the start you needed now to get "stuck in".
Kerrowdown, from the looks of it addiction is inevitable :-) Plus, I really love capturing everything around me, so I see myself heavilly relying on this new toy for probably ever...hehehe.
11-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your new camera!
11-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Love my K5. Welcome
12-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hello! So I have received a camera from BH! Yay, but I only get it in 10 days for my bday:-(
Now- I found lens on Craigslist a Pentax 100 mm 2.8 Macro. Used for 250$. Does it make sense to purchase this lens even though it was originally bought in 2007? It has good reviews on here.

Thank you,
Kat
12-03-2014, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Welcome! Congrats on the new camera! Can't advise you on the 100mm, though...
12-03-2014, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Welcome! I got hooked on Pentax and moved up in a hurry through various models and now I have the K-3, which seems to be getting cheaper brand new by the day. If there is any way possible save yourself the trouble and go for the K-3! It really is the greatest! But K-5 IIs is pretty great too! Then focus on getting good glass. I've had great luck with used lenses. Good luck!
12-03-2014, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lenses can last a long time, so what you want to check is the going rate for the lens you are looking at and what condition it is in.
A good source is the completed listings in our marketplace, as well as the sold items on eBay.
There are a few variations of 100mm f2.8 Pentax Macro.
Do you have a picture or any other specifics about the lens, such as the complete name shown on the barrel or filter ring?
See
SMC Pentax-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-F 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - F Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
12-03-2014, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Forum has an article list up on the top menu bar, that contains a lot of information. Here is the link for lenses...There is one particular article that may help you here... Its from RioRico - who use to be extremely active here. Unfortunately he finds it hard to use both a camera and a PC now because of his eyesight woes. That said, he was a wealth of information. Here is his link about buying used lenses. The link started out as a post and turned into an article. It was written from the perspective of finding a lens in a goodwill, thrift shop or craigslist. But it does give you a good sense of what questions to ask and what to look for.Here is an article on mounts. Pentax essentially has only two mounts - the M42 screw mount used up through 1975, and the K mount - from 1975 to today, and its variants. All the variants to the K mount work on all the digital camera bodies. The second link address some of the finer points of the various lens mounts variations.
QuoteQuote:
Does it make sense to purchase this lens even though it was originally bought in 2007? It has good reviews on here.
You are essentially asking about new vs used lenses. Used lenses are an excellent source - not to be overlooked - IF they are in GOOD condition. No fungus, mold, cracks, etc. The articles above goes into more details there. I have one M42 lens built in the 60's. Its excellent. I have others from the 70's, 80's and 90's - all excellent. I have purchased used, off of evilbay, craigslist, the Forum's marketplace and used camera shops. A little care, a lot of questions, and research all go a long way. Pictures also help when dealing remotely.