Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Warm - or should I say cold - hello from Toronto

I believe I should start by saying that I am not a proud Pentax user... yet, and that's why I'm here...
Photography for me started late in life - almost 40 - and not too long ago - two and a half years ago, or 6000 images, take your pick.
It started with the necessary learning of the basics, to be able to operate, and take control of the camera, which surprisingly didn't take all that long. The Nikon D3100 was sold (with under 2000 actuations) a few months after starting the next step in the learning curve; light. For this, I picked up a used D90, because it had more features and gave me the ability to access the parameters in a much easier way. Started pointing the lens at "real" subjects, playing with light - direction, quality, natural and artificial, etc. - posing and all that comes with photographing people. After shooting a friend's very small wedding, I realized that I could use a bit higher ISO "usable" images (everything over 800 had to be pp'd into b&w). Enters the D7000 after 2500 shutter actuations on the D90. Big disappointment, not sure if the ergonomics or just got tired of following the herd (have always done exactly the opposite), or the not big improvement in usable higher ISO images, but the fact is that I started looking for a replacement almost immediately.
This was not the first time I have heard of Pentax - my father owned one back in the film days - but was the first time I considered it.
This was the beginning of 2014.
Chose to go with the Fuji instead, and to a certain extend, I believe I made the right choice, because I believe my photography went to a different level. Don't know if it was because of the EVF - and the ability of knowing before the shutter being pressed what the image would turn out - the almost 7 months of using a fixed focal lens (due to financial restrains), or the so called "Fuji look"... But, I am not entirely pleased with the X system and that's why I'm going back to the DSLR world and can't think of anything else except Pentax...
I do, however, have a few questions which I will definitely ask around, but it's mostly regarding metering (low-light, mixed lighting, etc.) and WB (if auto is "enough" or accurate enough, or do I have to go back to the "old days" of setting WB manually (Fuji is excellent in this matter)...
I'm considering the K-5 II, or the "s", maybe even the K-3 - it all depends of how much I can get from the Fuji. Another question I would like to ask is, if the JPEGs sooc are good enough... I know Fuji spoiled me with their outstanding image processing. I found myself tweaking the raw files to get closer to the JPEG look, until giving up using the raw all together, as can be seen in my Flickr page.
Anyway, to close this huge monologue, I am going back to a DSLR and an OVF, as kind of a test... to try and find out if it was the Fuji that changed my photography (and now it will be back to the same mediocrity level as before), or if it was in fact my photography that has changed with the Fuji...
If you're still with me, thank you for reading.

Kind regards.

Paul

P.S.- If anyone is interested in a trade for the Fuji (knowing that a lot of users have several cameras), send me a message...

11-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and thank you for that comprehensive introduction.
11-26-2014, 06:57 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you'll find a lot of people here shoot in RAW and process via Lightroom or other program.
I find most of the time the camera's jpg needed a bit of tweaking anyway, whether a bit of contrast or exposure adjustment, so I just do the RAW now.

There are differences between the K3 and K5 series, i'm sure you'll do your research and figure out which way to go.
11-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome, wow that's some intro, I feel I've known you for all your photographic journey through time.

11-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Toronto seems to have a few Pentax shooters! Welcome!
11-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome. Either one will do just fine.
11-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Some shots from the old brick warehouse district would be good - while you sampling some of that great Upper Canada Brewing Co beer.
11-27-2014, 05:54 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome, and interesting travels through photography. Now is a great time to buy any of the cameras you mention, the prices are great. I would grab a K-3 for the price now. I also think it would satisfy you given where you've been. You can read the reviews of each of those here on the Pentax Forum site. I have the X100 and X10 Fujis, and a K-3. I use them for different things. I'll try to find your Flickr page... I really want to visit Toronto, I've heard great things about the city--and Jays fan, too.
David

11-27-2014, 07:46 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Welcome! Pentax is a very good system and the people here are among the best photo fans around. They'll give you great, fair advise on what to get. The K-5 IIs is a solid starting point, but, even a K-50 would work very well as an introduction to the system.
11-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your kind words, and I am sorry for the late reply, but I didn't (don't) have any notifications coming to my email account... Have to look in to it...
In regards to the JPEGs, I have to mention that I have never thought about using them with the Nikons and have always shot raw; Fuji really does an amazing job.
As for the cameras, I am leaning towards the K-5 II(s), although I know the K-3 has some improvements, I'm really interested in the best I can get in terms of high ISO (one of the reasons for going the Fuji way, a few months ago), and for what I've been reading, the raw files are very easily "cleaned" with proper use of NR tools.

P.S. - I will include it in the signature, but here's a link to the Flickr page where I've been posting some images taken with the Fuji.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124554776@N07/

Kind regards.

Paul