Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Considering your newly approaching infant, my first thought would be the "fantastic plastic" DA 35mm f2.4 lens. It's a good close portrait lens in everyday conditions. Get the 18-55WR as a walkaround inexpensive lens. Then figure out what else you want to do. Those two will be great for pictures indoors and outdoors with your new arrival.

12-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, nw_mushroom ... Hope to see some K-50 images soon! Salut, J
12-04-2014, 01:26 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Considering your newly approaching infant, my first thought would be the "fantastic plastic" DA 35mm f2.4 lens. It's a good close portrait lens in everyday conditions. Get the 18-55WR as a walkaround inexpensive lens. Then figure out what else you want to do. Those two will be great for pictures indoors and outdoors with your new arrival.
From what I've been reading about the 35mm and 50mm plastic fantastics, the 50mm sounds better suited for portraits (to my amateur-minded brain). What makes you prefer the 35mm? Is it just the flexibility of the lens, or do you feel it's a better portrait lens?
12-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nw_mushroom Quote
From what I've been reading about the 35mm and 50mm plastic fantastics, the 50mm sounds better suited for portraits (to my amateur-minded brain). What makes you prefer the 35mm? Is it just the flexibility of the lens, or do you feel it's a better portrait lens?
Depending on how close you are to your subject, 50mm is good. Certainly in the classic portrait role - head and shoulders, in darkened room etc. the 50 is ideal. I think if you're trying to get shots of your youngster once it starts crawling around etc. the wider 35mm will be more versatile. Indoors in particular, 50mm is pretty tight, and may not get enough of the scene.

I think you might want to get the kit zoom first, set it at 35mm and then at 50mm and see what the field of views are. It may not be exactly like the prime, but very close in view. I think you'll find you want wider than 50mm for most work.

Another good option you could pursue if you want an upgrade from the kit lens is a DA 16-45 zoom. That's a great lens indoors, very wide to relatively tight. Not extremely "fast" in aperture, but with the new sensors it's just fine in reasonable light. It's pretty sharp, too.

I'll note that I don't have the 35 or 50. I have older manual 50s. I have a 21 and a 28mm lens as well, and often the 28 is a bit tight if you're indoors at events trying to get group shots. I do have the 16-45 and when taking pictures indoors was rarely over 30mm.

12-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #20

Original Poster
Thanks for the explanation. I managed to snag the 35mm plastic fantastic for under 100 bucks through Amazon yesterday.
12-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nw_mushroom Quote
Thanks for the explanation. I managed to snag the 35mm plastic fantastic for under 100 bucks through Amazon yesterday.
Great deal! That's supposed to be a nice lens. I'd be tempted to get one if I didn't have something pretty close to that FL already.