Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #1

Pentax Newbie!

I've had a Panasonic Lumix LX-3 for a number of years now, and decided to use the Black Friday/Cyber Monday period to upgrade to a DSLR.

I was originally looking at the Nikon D3300, but got turned onto the Pentax K-50 which looked like a better 'bang' for the buck. Living in the Pacific Northwest, I also felt the Weatherproofing could prove to be invaluable.

So, far the past few days I've been online nonstop looking for the best deal. I was going to hit the BuyDig deal of a K-50 with 18-55 kit lens for $429 - however, today Amazon reduced it to $439 and with the $25 camera credit when you buy a $100 gift card, it knocked the price down to $414. With the 5% Amazon cashback with a Chase Freedom credit card, my final price will come to around $393. Not a bad price, I thought!

So now I need to figure out what my first lens purchase will be. I have a baby due in February so I expect I'll be taking lots of baby photos. I've also got into

close-up photography with my LX-3 and would like to continue exploring this with my K-50.

I know that the more I have to change lenses, the less I'll carry them around with me so would be open to suggestions for a first lens purchase.

I look forward to hearing some ideas and suggestions.

Thanks for having me as a member

11-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! K-50 is great camera with heavy weight features.

Re lenses: here you go, have fun: Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I'm sure you will get a bunch of replies pushing this or that prime lens but if you are just looking for good family images then the 18-55 is not a bad lens when stopped down a bit. If you have the budget one of the 16-50 or 17-50 f/2.8 zooms will be great.
11-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome.

My LX-3 was 24-60mm so I am used to the limited focal range. That being said, I loved the f2.0-f2.8 on the LX-3 and I'm sure I'll miss that with my new camera and kit lens. I particularly enjoyed using my LX-3 in low-light situations without a flash.
11-30-2014, 11:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Aaand here I am pushing primes. Welcome to the forum! Get the 50! It's fast, it's sharp, it's a good focal length and a solid piece of glass Granted, I have a 35 year old manual one, but I've been given the impression that the more modern lenses certainly haven't decreased in quality. Hope you enjoy your new camera and the forums (and the young'un on the way!)

12-01-2014, 12:44 AM   #5
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nw_mushroom Quote
I've had a Panasonic Lumix LX-3 for a number of years now, and decided to use the Black Friday/Cyber Monday period to upgrade to a DSLR.

I was originally looking at the Nikon D3300, but got turned onto the Pentax K-50 which looked like a better 'bang' for the buck. Living in the Pacific Northwest, I also felt the Weatherproofing could prove to be invaluable.

So, far the past few days I've been online nonstop looking for the best deal. I was going to hit the BuyDig deal of a K-50 with 18-55 kit lens for $429 - however, today Amazon reduced it to $439 and with the $25 camera credit when you buy a $100 gift card, it knocked the price down to $414. With the 5% Amazon cashback with a Chase Freedom credit card, my final price will come to around $393. Not a bad price, I thought!

So now I need to figure out what my first lens purchase will be. I have a baby due in February so I expect I'll be taking lots of baby photos. I've also got into

close-up photography with my LX-3 and would like to continue exploring this with my K-50.

I know that the more I have to change lenses, the less I'll carry them around with me so would be open to suggestions for a first lens purchase.

I look forward to hearing some ideas and suggestions.

Thanks for having me as a member
The 18-55 is a great "bread and butter" lens to habitually have on your camera. But can I suggest a 2nd hand M or A 50mm 1.7 would be a super cheap addition. Here in NZ they are sort of around the US$50 mark.
Your baby won,t be the fastest thing around for a while giving you ample time to manually focus these old lens.
They are super for portraits and are suitable for close up work with the addition of extension tubes and perhaps a reversing ring.
Bubs will be perfect practise to get the hang of these lens and you end up with an album to boot.
12-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy that new camera once you get her, until then there's plenty to see and do here.
12-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Get an "A" lens. Pushing that green button is something I forget every now and then. The Takumars work great in Manual on the AV setting. Guess I am kinda pushin' Prime Lenses also.

12-01-2014, 05:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
Get an "A" lens. Pushing that green button is something I forget every now and then. The Takumars work great in Manual on the AV setting. Guess I am kinda pushin' Prime Lenses also.
If you look around, there are some of those k-mount MF lenses (I have a Porst 55f1.2), you can easily remove the aperture lever and use it in Av mode with stop-down metering - no need to press green button.
12-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
If you look around, there are some of those k-mount MF lenses (I have a Porst 55f1.2), you can easily remove the aperture lever and use it in Av mode with stop-down metering - no need to press green button.
Greet idea. I guess you could do that with an "M" lens?
12-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #10
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually yeah get an A. I have gotten so used to using the M series with a minor adaption so they operate manually that I had forgotten that the green button path can be a little tricky.

---------- Post added 12-02-14 at 05:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I drill a hole about 7mm from the lens lock groove so the the lens locks in before it has fully clicked home. Then it operates manually.
12-02-2014, 06:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Actually yeah get an A. I have gotten so used to using the M series with a minor adaption so they operate manually that I had forgotten that the green button path can be a little tricky.

I drill a hole about 7mm from the lens lock groove so the the lens locks in before it has fully clicked home. Then it operates manually.
Can you post a picture please?
12-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't know about that... but I prefer removing the aperture lever as the procedure is reversible, it works like a m42 lens with A/M switch set permanently at M (better yet, the k mount keeps the lens locked-in instead of screw-tight.
12-03-2014, 12:01 AM   #13
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can you post a picture please?
I thought I would do a post on the diy forum to explain what I do.
I learnt the trick off the pentax forums but I don't know of an article specifically about creating a custom lock pin hole.
Note the new hole is about 9mm away not the 7mm I said earlier.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/62-do-yourself/281060-converting-m-series-lens-manual.html
12-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I thought I would do a post on the diy forum to explain what I do.
I learnt the trick off the pentax forums but I don't know of an article specifically about creating a custom lock pin hole.
Note the new hole is about 9mm away not the 7mm I said earlier.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/62-do-yourself/281060-converting-m-series-lens-manual.html
Thank you very much. I just hate that green button but don't mind using the Takumars stopped down. I rarely go any smaller than 5.6 so focusing outside is really not a problem. When I get brave, I will do the fix. Thanks again.
12-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #15

Welcome! If you want another lens, a used 40mm XS, or one of the two plastic fantastic lenses (35mm or 50mm) are highly recommended around these parts. The 40 XS is so small, you won't mind carrying it as an additional lens.