Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #1

Hi, moving from Philly to LA

Just saying hello for the first time on here.
This is a great forum for everything Pentax...
Thanks to everyone offering so much advice and information.
Before the spring I'll be moving to LA with my wife, this city keeps pulling me back in and I keep escaping.
Anyone out there know how hard it is to get a second camera or assistant job out there?
Is it gonna hurt me to show up with a Sony and a Pentax?

12-06-2014, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't want to burst your bubble, but LA is tough. There are a lot of people that work CHEAP. I spent 20 years in LA, San Fernando Valley, and 5 years in San Luis Obispo. I am back in PA now. Seems we all come back sooner or later. GOOD LUCK.
12-07-2014, 01:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
I don't want to burst your bubble, but LA is tough. There are a lot of people that work CHEAP. I spent 20 years in LA, San Fernando Valley, and 5 years in San Luis Obispo. I am back in PA now. Seems we all come back sooner or later. GOOD LUCK.
Thanks, man. I'm moving out there for other reasons, but want to move forward with what I've become so crazy about. I feel like I need more experience with the commercial side and lighting and would love to be able to make a living not breaking my back like I've been. Does ANYONE shoot with Pentax professionally? I feel like I went for qualities in a camera that might not mesh in a larger market where I might have to work along side more people... I love my K5ii anyway, Thanks for responding.
12-07-2014, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by spencerskelly Quote
Is it gonna hurt me to show up with a Sony and a Pentax?
Welcome to the forum, there is a worldwide "closed shop" when it come to equipment choices... which we know may well not be right.

But it is still a perception held by both clients and employers, so truthfully Canikon is probably the route to go.

12-07-2014, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by spencerskelly Quote
Thanks, man. I'm moving out there for other reasons, but want to move forward with what I've become so crazy about. I feel like I need more experience with the commercial side and lighting and would love to be able to make a living not breaking my back like I've been. Does ANYONE shoot with Pentax professionally? I feel like I went for qualities in a camera that might not mesh in a larger market where I might have to work along side more people... I love my K5ii anyway, Thanks for responding.
Not many Pentax users. Pentax was slow getting into the game. Canon jumped on the high end stuff very quickly and Nikon followed. Unfortunately for the Canon and Nikon users, they are going to pay dearly for an outfit that will do the same job as a Pentax would. Even their lenses cost considerably more because of image stabilization. Oh well, their problem, no ours.