Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day from Kangaroo Island

Yet another Aussie here. I live in a small coastal village on Kangaroo Island, off the coast of South Australia. Over a third of the island is (or was until recent bushfires) pristine native vegetation with abundant wildlife and spectacular coastal scenery. It's just made for wildlife photography and there are several excellent photographers here doing just that. The challenge for me, coming back to it after many years without a camera, is to find something new to say through the lens. I really like creating abstract photos, using Gimp, to try to bring out something from an image that wasn't readily apparent from the initial photo.

I've just bought a K100D Super with the standard 18-50 kit lens. Thrilled to bits with it, and itching to get some better lenses.

This looks like a very friendly forum with a lot of expertise. Nice place to hang out.

PS I can be a bit of a garrulous old fart, so please tell me if I'm rabbitting on! I won't take offence.

05-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
PS I can be a bit of a garrulous old fart, so please tell me if I'm rabbitting on! I won't take offence.
You are not the only garrulous old fart here. I am close to the charter member of that club! Enjoy the forum, it can be fun. Just ignore certain posters, and life will be sweet. If they really bug you, as one does me, you can add them to an ignore list in your profile, and never see their posts.
05-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Wombat, how much of the bushland was burnt out?

A couple of days ago I saw TV ads, shown in Brisbane, from the SA Government pushing Kangaroo Island as a tourist destination. Is there a big tourist resort(s) there? What do the locals think about it? Good for jobs - bad for preserving the place?
05-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Welcome, you can always start a social group for Garrulous Old Farts, I'd join.
Gary

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
If they really bug you, as one does me, you can add them to an ignore list in your profile, and never see their posts.
Hi Albert, can't remember if we've spoken. Just being nosy but can you give us a clue as to who you are ignoring? No probs if you want to keep it to yourself.
Gary

05-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Wombat, how much of the bushland was burnt out?

A couple of days ago I saw TV ads, shown in Brisbane, from the SA Government pushing Kangaroo Island as a tourist destination. Is there a big tourist resort(s) there? What do the locals think about it? Good for jobs - bad for preserving the place?
The fires were quite extensive, Dosdan, something like a third of the bush areas, I believe. But regeneration started within days and recent good rains have really given the burned areas a kick start. The wildlife, especially koalas, were decimated, but they'll come back.
There are all levels of tourist resorts here. We get over 170,000 visitors a year, so there's everything from backpacker digs to up-market motels. Bushfires happen all the time here - we get a lot of lightning activity in summer - but you never get used to it. This year there was a big photographic exhibition after the fires at one of the local galleries, with some magnificent photos of the fires, volunteers, aftermath etc. All proceeds went to the CFS and other agencies who helped us. It was a great effort.

Come and visit sometime. We get a lot of folks from up your way. I could show you some great places to photograph.

Thanks everyone else for your warm welcome.

Last edited by Wombat; 05-22-2008 at 06:13 PM.
05-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery

This looks like a very friendly forum with a lot of expertise. Nice place to hang out.

Welcome Wombat from a fellow South Aussie (and fellow garrulous old fart).

It is a friendly place and as Albert says, there are some who rub the fur in the wrong direction but we can choose to ignore them.

Lived over 50 years in Adelaide and never been to KI - how sad is that. Gotta make an effort soon Lovely place and fabulous scenery. Hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do.
05-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Enjoy your stay here and looking forward to your photographic technique flowing through

cheers
05-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
give us a clue as to who you are ignoring
Gary
If he doesn't respond to your post, you'll have to assume it's you!

05-23-2008, 01:40 PM   #9
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by bonovox Quote
If he doesn't respond to your post, you'll have to assume it's you!
I did think of that myself as I wrote it.
Gary
05-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums wombat.

I haven't had the chance to get over to Kangaroo Island ... or to SA for that matter.
Looking forward to seeing some great images from wildlife/scenery there.