Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #1

Looking forward to my first DSLR...

Hi everyone! I've been a long time lurker here, first time poster. I have been lusting after a Pentax DSLR for at least a couple years, specially the K-30 or K-50, though I've been an amateur digital photographer for the past 12 or so years. It's a bit boggling that I haven't yet acquired a DSLR, with how much I use my cameras, and how inexpensive they are compared to some of my other hobbies and yearly expenditures.

I've progressed through various forms of digital cameras, including a Fujifilm Finepix 1300 (yes, that's 1.3 MP!), Casio QV-3000EX, Konica Minolta Z10, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, and an Olympus XZ-1. I can't say that any have really given me total satisfaction, though all have given me some really great pictures. I still have all of them except the Fuji and the Panasonic, with the Olympus being my primary at the moment. They all have their drawbacks, such that I'd take a few steps forward but always at least one step back with each new camera. I'm not afraid of a little weight and size, in fact I prefer that to a box of playing cards with a lens attached. I had to add a grip and lens extension tube to my XZ-1 just to make it work well in my hands. It's hard to believe that the prices on the K-50 are now just barely more than what I paid for the DMC-FZ28 and XZ-1.

Anyhow, can't say for sure when I'll be picking up my Pentax, or which model it will be, but will report back later!

Cheers,

Aaron

12-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax and welcome to the forum.
12-12-2014, 06:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!
12-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
welcome and definitely let us know what you get!

12-13-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aaroncgi Quote
I've been a long time lurker here
Welcome, lurk no more, that's you introduced to us all now.
12-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I ended up ordering a K-30 in crystal blue (body only), should be here hopefully by Friday, can hardly wait! Yes, could have gotten a K-50 (used) for about the same price (new only slightly more), but the K-30's styling and metallic colors really do it for me.

I'm now looking into lenses from the usual pre-owned sources, as I'm on a budget. So far I have on order a 28mm F2.8 and a 100mm F3.5 macro. I definitely want to get an 18-55mm WR for wet weather shooting (otherwise known as 'Not Summer' in the Seattle area most years), and am considering a 50mm F1.7. I also want a zoom with a 200-300mm reach, but that can wait for summer airshow season. There seem to be lots of options in that category when you discount the need for WR.

Cheers!