Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hi from Montreal ! Pentax forever :)

Hi everyone, I'm Andrew from Montreal, Canada.

I've been reading this forum for a while now and absolutely love it. It's one of the best I've ever come across. I'm an amateur photographer / enthusiast and have been shooting Pentax for about 10 years now. Started with film and moved to K100d (which I love and won't sell) and now have a K5 IIS as well - and that girl has such a well built, quality feel with great operation and IQ that shooting with it is a dream! I've also started to accumulate a lot of old glass (M42 and older Pentax, Helios, and Zeiss) .. and I'm just having so much fun. I must add that I also have the Canon system in full frame (5DMK2), Nikon, and Sony (A6000) but those systems get much less use vs. my Pentax's. I do have to say that the Sony A6000 with adapters for Nikon, Canon, M42 is a blast given it's focus peaking and flexibility on manual. I wish Pentax would come out with an equivalent. I also wish that the mega pixel race would end and sensor design would get back to larger pixel/pitch numbers (Hmm .. ala Sony A7 S ?) . I think that's why I still love my 6 MP K100D .. as it 's got 7.77 µm. Photos look less digital and closer to film / real life to me (IMO). Anyways - glad to do a little introduction and join the forum !

Cheers !

Attached Images

12-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew_LHIFI Quote
I also wish that the mega pixel race would end and sensor design would get back to larger pixel/pitch numbers (Hmm .. ala Sony A7 S ?) . I think that's why I still love my 6 MP K100D .. as it 's got 7.77 µm. Photos look less digital and closer to film / real life to me (IMO). Anyways - glad to do a little introduction and join the forum !

I never noticed that. I will have to do a comparison.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
12-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF. Looking forward to seeing some more of your images.
12-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
Beautiful shot Rimfire ! Puts me in a better place. It's all white where I'm at .. ughh winter. Hey see you're a shooter ... just trying to get into that as well. I'm down in Texas on business quite a bit - and folks down there are getting me hooked on target shooting.

---------- Post added 12-13-14 at 11:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Welcome to PF. Looking forward to seeing some more of your images.
Thanks wtlwdwgn. You have a great gallery !

12-13-2014, 09:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi everyone, I'm Andrew from Montreal, Canada.

I've been reading this forum for a while now and absolutely love it. It's one of the best I've ever come across. I'm an amateur photographer / enthusiast and have been shooting Pentax for about 10 years now. Started with film and moved to K100d (which I love and won't sell) and now have a K5 IIS as well - and that girl has such a well built, quality feel with great operation and IQ that shooting with it is a dream! I've also started to accumulate a lot of old glass (M42 and older Pentax, Helios, and Zeiss) .. and I'm just having so much fun. I must add that I also have the Canon system in full frame (5DMK2), Nikon, and Sony (A6000) but those systems get much less use vs. my Pentax's. I do have to say that the Sony A6000 with adapters for Nikon, Canon, M42 is a blast given it's focus peaking and flexibility on manual. I wish Pentax would come out with an equivalent. I also wish that the mega pixel race would end and sensor design would get back to larger pixel/pitch numbers (Hmm .. ala Sony A7 S ?) . I think that's why I still love my 6 MP K100D .. as it 's got 7.77 µm. Photos look less digital and closer to film / real life to me (IMO). Anyways - glad to do a little introduction and join the forum !

Cheers !
Welcome onboard, neither of the two Pentax DSLRs you own has focus peaking feature, get the k-3, it has focus peaking plus tons of other features.
12-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard.
12-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Welcome onboard, neither of the two Pentax DSLRs you own has focus peaking feature, get the k-3, it has focus peaking plus tons of other features.
Thanks aleonx3 . yes - I know .. and I have been eyeballing the K3

---------- Post added 12-13-14 at 11:35 AM ----------

Would love if Pentax put the K3 features into a small rangefinder body like the A6000 and forget the Q line ... killer for travel ! EVF - soso .. But on the plus side K3, K5's are small dslr's (~ 5''x4''' s basically) with great optical viewfinders - so great travel cams as well !

12-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have both k-5IIs (already excellent sans AA filter) and the k-3 is up another big notch (now I can crop while using landscape orientation with flash).
12-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #9

Welcome. Montreal is a great city!
12-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
Pixel Pitch madness - maybe - on my end

Subjective - maybe it's just some people that notice it .. probably debatable - but I have talked to a few Nikon pros .. and they have not been keen on D800's IQ (pixel /pitch 4.7) .. and still prefer D3 and D700's (both with larger pixel / pitch 8.45). As for the Sony A7 S - they're selling a 2014 model year - 12 MP cam w/ the pixel /pitch of 8.3 with the sell point of the other bonus of larger PP .. high ISO performance (off the charts). I dunno .. I've compared .. I side on the larger PP /pixel pitch end.

ps.
Beautiful shot Rimfire ! Puts me in a better place. It's all white where I'm at .. ughh winter. Hey see you're a shooter ... just trying to get into that as well. I'm down in Texas on business quite a bit - and folks down there are getting me hooked on target shooting.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/29-welcomes-introductions/282546-hi-montr...#ixzz3LnTv2SI8
12-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
It's one of the best I've ever come across
Welcome to the forum, you smooth talker you.
12-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, you smooth talker you.
It's the truth! As a multi system guy - I've accessed other system forums - and they're pretty sad. Bravo Pentax Forums ! Will be donating as well once I get that section figured out
12-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Hey that's the easy bit, it's the photography bit that's not so easy at times.

PentaxForums.com PayPal Donations

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 12-13-2014 at 03:35 PM.
12-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Hey that's the easy, it's the photography bit that's not so easy at times.

PentaxForums.com PayPal Donations
True 2. Done. Glad there is a non paypal option in Premium Acct. section. Thanks.

---------- Post added 12-13-14 at 05:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by freerider Quote
Welcome. Montreal is a great city!
Thanks Free Rider - come and visit - great festivals in the summertime ! ps. San Fran / Oakland area is on my list. Ohh ... photo opps
12-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

True 2. Done. Glad there is a non paypal option in Premium Acct. section. Thanks
Your most welcome, you will soon find to your disadvantage... that we are all very good here at helping folk spend their money... LBA, CBA etc etc.