Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #1

lenses

I have a Pentax MZ-M, 1998. I have a few lenses. Looking to upgrade to a digital. Wondering if my lenses will fit. In talking with Pentax they say they will go on but might not come off? Lenses I have are , Promaster spectrum 2, Samyang cambron, Samyang tiffen, Haze.. Any one know if they will fit a new K-50?
Thanks Moe

12-13-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are these lenses or filters? Filters screw into the threads on the front of a lens. The Samyang Cambron and Promaster Spectrum could be any one of a number of lenses or a teleconverter. Tiffen and Haze sound like filters. Maybe they are fitted to your lenses but that doesn't give any clue as to what the lens is. The Pentax MZ-M is a K mount body. Any Pentax lens that will fit the MZ-M will fit a Pentax DSLR. There can be a problem with third party lenses that may have what is known as the "Ricoh pin". You need to provide a bit more detail on what the lenses are and post pictures of the lenses and lens mounts.
12-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #3

A k mount is a k mount BUT some older lenses have a spring loaded lock on the ring and if it isn't removed it WILL lock it to the body and it takes a feelerguage to get it off. one of the lenses from my sears slr needed this removed, it fits my k10d and comes off.
12-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If they worked on your MZ-M they will fit on a modern Pentax DSLR. You do not give much information to determine what the lenses are. Promaster made / makes lenses for many different camera brands so without seeing the exact description or the mount it is not possible to say for sure what it is.
QuoteOriginally posted by moeg49 Quote
Samyang cambron
No idea what this is, again you give no real information. Samyang makes lenses for many different cameras.
Samyang tiffen, Haze.
This sounds more like you are reading the name of the screw in filter on the front, not the lens. Tiffen - Haze is a filter.

Honestly, those most likely will work but you would probably be better off getting the 18-55 kit lens with the k-50 and have a modern auto focus lens that was designed for the camera. If you want to try the others later they might turn out to be OK.

The reason Pentax mentioned "they will go on but not come off" is that some third party lenses have an extra pin that drops into the autofocus drive slot on newer Pentax cameras and locks the lens on. This is often called "the dreaded Ricoh pin". I do not recognize any of your lenses as having this, but from the information you provided it is not possible to say for sure.

12-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #5

Original Poster
More info on my lenses. Promaster spectrum 7, 52mm , 85 to 210, made in japan, samyang cambron uv, 72mm ,mc, 18 to 28 auto zoom. made in japan. Haze 55mm 28 to 70 , made in Korea, samyand Tiffen 72mm 100 to 500, made in USA. Promaster spectrum 7 auto tele converter mc 2X for KPR made in japan.
Moe sorry dont have a clue how to post a pic here
12-13-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter

More info on my lenses. Promaster spectrum 7, 52mm , 85 to 210, made in japan, samyang cambron uv, 72mm ,mc, 18 to 28 auto zoom. made in japan. Haze 55mm 28 to 70 , made in Korea, samyand Tiffen 72mm 100 to 500, made in USA. Promaster spectrum 7 auto tele converter mc 2X for KPR made in japan.
Sounds like you have:

1/ Promaster spectrum 7, 85-210mm (which takes a 52mm filter)

2/ Samyang 18-28mm f4-4.5 (comes in may brand names: Samyang, Phoenix, Vivitar, Sirius, Falcon, Cambron and Centon) with a 72mm (thread size) Samyang or Cambron UV filter

3/ Unknown brand 28-70mm (Haze will be the filter type) which takes a 55mm filter

4/ Samyang 100-500mm f5.6-7.1 with a Tiffen 72mm (thread size) filter

5/ Promaster spectrum 7 auto tele converter mc 2X for KPR (the KPR indicates it may have the Ricoh pin mentioned above).

I cannot provide any info as to the quality of these lenses or the teleconverter.
12-14-2014, 02:27 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I'll just say welcome and leave you in the safe hands of these other guys when it comes to your lens question.
12-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #8

Original Poster

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/29-welcomes-introductions/282585-lenses.html#ixzz3LzJUh34o