Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #1

New, here

Hi, all. I just bought a K-3 with the 18-135 lens. It was between a Nikon 7100 and the Pentax. Once I held them and fooled around in the store, it was a no brainer. I'm a backpacker and do a lot of wilderness photography. I beat the crap out of my cameras, and the Pentax was the obvious choice. I'm coming from a Panasonic GF-1, so lenses did not factor into my decision. I sold all of my Nikon lenses after my wife dropped my 8008 in an airport.

Today, I had the K-3 out for some learning. I got some great shots. I like to shoot with a grid. Is there a grid available for the viewfinder? Years ago, there were inserts available.

I will be on here with lots of questions, as I have never owned a digital SLR. The GF-1 is great for creative, fine arts photography, but the K-3 is a beast!

I had my own darkroom from the time I was 12, until after college; that was a long time ago, when post processing was an integral part of photography.

I never needed to post process with the GF-1, as it has an electronic viewfinder and always shows me what I'm going to get. DSLRs image TTL, so you need to post process, if you are looking to be more creative. My wife is buying me a copy of Lightroom for Christmas.

I love the imaging capabilities of the K-3. It would be much better if I could get a viewfinder grid.

12-14-2014, 11:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to Pentax!

I've had a similar experience when I handled a K30 a couple of years ago. I sold my 60D (and a kit lens) immediately after that.
12-15-2014, 06:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax ML-60 AF Cross-lined Matte Focusing Screen 38579 B&H

You can get replacement focus screens. Do a forum search for focus screen and you'll see some options. Some are considered upgrades to the stock screens.
12-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks, guys. I will look at those focus screens.

12-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Katzeye, Jinfinance and some others sell screens too. You'll find the threads.
12-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hman1 Quote
K-3 with the 18-135 lens
Welcome to the forum, a great Pentax start up set up kit, enjoy.