Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #1

Hello and Happy Holidays

I am kinda a new Pentax owner...by association. Let me explain.

I have been researching a good replacement camera for my wife, to replace our old Fujifilm Finepix S6000fd. She does not like using my Canon T2i with battery grip because I keep it on manual all the time and it is kinda big for her. She is not the kind of person that is interested in the details of photography, not yet anyway.

So I came across a KEH deal on cyber monday and picked up a K-30 with the 55-200mm WR lens for under $400 only 4000 shutter clicks. I also picked up the 18-50mm WR from Adorama.

I mainly do chroma-key portrait work part time and have a portable studio setup. I am looking forward to trying out the K-30 on a portrait shoot
and I know my wife will enjoy the ease of use of the camera and the weather proofing, she wants to do some landscape and wildlife shooting.

While doing my research on Pentax, I was amazed at the VALUE of the cameras and Lenses. I am also seriously considering upgrading my
Canon T2I to a Pentax K-3 with DA* lenses.

I am not totally invested in Canon and before I picked up the Pentax, I was looking at upgrading my Canon lenses.

After comparing specs and results and prices between Canon and Pentax, I feel Pentax is a tremendous value in both the dslr body offerings and the lenses. In every case, even used, the bodies and lenses are half the cost of comparable Canon gear and is weather sealed too, which is just the icing on the cake compared to Canon.

So, I don't think I will be investing in Canon anymore and start my new journey in photography with an excellent Pentax K-3 and some DA* WR lenses,
and then sell off my Canon gear.

by the way, here is good example of my portrait work... My son's school picture.

Attached Images

12-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice! I think you will be glad that you discovered value in Pentax.
12-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #3

Welcome! Value was also a major factor in my decision to go with Pentax. It's amazing how much you get for the money with Pentax, whether you go new or used. The K-30 I just ordered will cost less than either of the last two compacts I have purchased - admittedly one a higher end (at the time) bridge superzoom, and the other an 'enthusiast' compact. Sure, once I add a few more lenses I'll be a little more, but not by that much, and it's so much more of a camera!
12-18-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum and Pentax; people who are willing to do a little research instead of following the 'herd' mentality will appreciate more the value of Pentax camera/lens offerings.
Enjoy your photographic enjoy in the world of Pentax/Ricoh!!

12-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF. Looking forward to seeing more of your images.
12-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Pentax world! I just started myself with Pentax recently; and with a used, very low priced outfit, am finding each day how truly great Pentax is!

Looking forward to sharing your journey into Pentax Land!
12-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks to one and all.

I think most people do not make an effort to look past Canon and Nikon. My self included when I bought my T2i about three years ago. I think mainly because as soon as you start to research, you are inundated with Canon and Nikon advertisements, articles and reviews always seeming to pit one against the other. It's always Canon or Nikon, not Canon or Nikon or Pentax or Sony or Olympus or Panasonic or Fuji.

Once in a while you run across the top 5 or 10 point and shoot comparisons that include other brands besides Canikon, but it seems rare (to me) to see a dslr comparison shootout that includes any other brands except for Canon and Nikon.

And forget about the FF debate that is always raging. I am quite happy with my crop sensor cameras, a shallower depth of field will do me no good as I do more chroma-key portraits than anything else.

The picture of my son in my first post, was done in front of a professional chroma-key green background and I put in my own background and blurred it to get the result and look I wanted. I love the power of computers and software we have at our fingertips today.

Stephen

12-21-2014, 03:44 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, keep both systems and then you have the best of everything that camera manufacturers have to offer.