Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2014, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #1

my first dslr

Hi I just joined the forum. I just received my new K-50 from Adorama. It came with two lenses, a hot shoe flash, an eyefi sd card, a 16 gb sd card, a camera bag, and Tiffin photo filter software. I( charged the battery and fired it up. Just from what I have seen so far I have a lot of reading to do the get an understanding of what this camera can do. I did take a few shots on auto that came out pretty good. I like how much better than my Sony H2 and mu Fuji S1800 this is.

12-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd say you're off to a terrific start! That kit is a great foundation for learning photography! It will be interesting to see where you take it from here, as you gain experience! Why did you select the K-50 in particular? Is it sold in stores where you live? It's a great camera! If you look around this site you will find many great examples of the great mages that camera and other Pentax cameras can produce! I'm not one of the top guys by any means, but I wish you the best of luck!
12-19-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!
12-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #4

Welcome to the forums and much fun with your new camera.

I don't know about the K-50, but I found camera manuals to be pretty useless. At least for the newcomer. Just explaining, barely, that there is this and that setting. I spent years on automatic with my first DSLR due to this (and for not joining this board ). Purchasing a book specific to my new camera was an eye opener, and I can but recommend it. Besides camera specific knowledge it taught me so much about basic techniques I had no idea about.

12-19-2014, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DavidSKAF3 Quote
I'd say you're off to a terrific start! That kit is a great foundation for learning photography! It will be interesting to see where you take it from here, as you gain experience! Why did you select the K-50 in particular? Is it sold in stores where you live? It's a great camera! If you look around this site you will find many great examples of the great mages that camera and other Pentax cameras can produce! I'm not one of the top guys by any means, but I wish you the best of luck!
I had initially decided on Nikon but out of curiousity checked out the PEntax and noticed that the vibration reduction was done in camera as opposed to in the lens. Also read that you can use the older K-mount lenses with their dslrs. The K-50 also has faster burst than Nikon or Canon. The weather resistance was nice also. The K-50 also has a lot of positive reviews.
12-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rickc1970 Quote
The K-50 also has a lot of positive reviews.
If you have a few minutes for an interesting read (and you feel like boosting my ego), I have the highest rated K-50 review on Amazon. Check it out.
12-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum! I'm eagerly awaiting my first DSLR, a K-30, also from Adorama.
12-20-2014, 07:20 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
If you have a few minutes for an interesting read (and you feel like boosting my ego), I have the highest rated K-50 review on Amazon. Check it out.
I read it and it brought to mind things I need to watch out for. Last night I took some photots at the Xmas Carousel and didn't realize that I didn't limit the iso in auto. The camera defaulted to 56,100 iso....lol

12-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi I just joined the forum. I just received my new K-50 from Adorama. It came with two lenses, a hot shoe flash, an eyefi sd card, a 16 gb sd card, a camera bag, and Tiffin photo filter software. I( charged the battery and fired it up. Just from what I have seen so far I have a lot of reading to do the get an understanding of what this camera can do. I did take a few shots on auto that came out pretty good. I like how much better than my Sony H2 and mu Fuji S1800 this is.
That package deal you got is the best out there for any camera, there are cheaper deals for less capable cameras. Congratulation, you will enjoy it!
I read it and it brought to mind things I need to watch out for. Last night I took some photots at the Xmas Carousel and didn't realize that I didn't limit the iso in auto. The camera defaulted to 56,100 iso....lol
I limit mine to 6400, or if I know I'm going to crop a lot, to 3200..
12-21-2014, 04:39 AM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, sounds like your hooked already into Pentax photography, enjoy.
01-01-2015, 10:49 PM   #11

Original Poster
I have taken quite a few pics already. I posted them on flickr
01-02-2015, 12:31 AM   #12

Welcome! I just got a K-50 as well and I am loving it! Just took it out for a hike this evening at dusk and realized halfway through that I still had it on MF (manual focus) from taking close-ups of a walking stick bug earlier. Whoops. I will learn... Lol.

It sounds like you chose the Pentax for many of the same reasons that I did. I too had decided upon a Nikon, and even bought one and played with it, but was not quite satisfied. I get a kick out of how people call the two big players in the camera world "Canikon". I know that they both make very decent cameras, but at this price point, Pentax had everything and more!

Enjoy your new camera! Looking forward to seeing photos!
01-02-2015, 07:33 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! You'll have a lot of fun learning your new camera.

Look for an old M or A 50 f1.7 or even the old f2 kit lenses, they're a lot of fun to play with and learn how to manage exposure.

Shooting modes - I can't tell you how many times I've left my camera on the 2sec timer and missed shots in the wild. Remember to set all the other settings for an appropriate exposure with the telezoom, but forget the timer....