Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #16
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by realitarian Quote
Greetings!

This forum has been an immense source of great info for me, so here goes...

6 months ago I thought it was about time to move from my point-and-shoot (Kodak) to a DSLR. Did my research and figured Pentax would be the way to go - it just seemed to be the best value proposition vis-a-vis Canonikon. I was only going to dip my toes to see where I wanted to go.

Well, next thing you know I am down a rabbit hole. I now have a K-50 and a K-3 (supposedly one for me and one my wife, at least that's what I told her...and told myself). Got the usual kit lenses (18-55 and 50-200). And then got the cheapo Tamron (70-300). And the thirst was unquenchable so got a Sigma 18-250. Well, and then it was only a question of 'why not?' so got the 50mm Macro (was on sale on Pentax web store for $350) and a 35mm prime (also on sale for at B&H).

And then I discovered eBay. Don't really know what hit me but I now have about 6-8 manual focus lenses ranging from $20 to $60...mostly primes.

Is this normal????

Cheers.
Slow down those horses, partner!! haha. This isn't Pokemon (childrens show with a tag line of 'gotta catch em all!'). You have a fine starting setup.

Before you spend more money on lenses, have you got to know the ones you already have? It is easy to spend money to try to come to a solution. But sometimes that solution can be met with just getting to know what we already have.

At least you mostly bought cheap primes. You seem to be pretty thoughtful on the monetary hemorrhaging.

The old lens are fun to use with extensions tubes and/or reversed (for Macro work) as they have an aperture ring (so the lens can be kept open). You can also buy those (reverse ring and extension tubes) on ebay too. hahaha

Glad to read you are enjoying your new camera and lenses!

btw what are you using for post processing (editing on the computer) ?? Lightroom is a nice buy imo -- has cataloging and editing in one.

12-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just be glad you haven't bought one of those limited lenses yet... once you do, all hope is lost and the $$$ will evacuate much faster. But they are worth every penny!
12-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Slow down those horses, partner!! You have a fine starting setup.
I would agree with this. More lenses won't make you a better photographer. Use what you have, then decide what else you need.
12-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Welcome!

Get those limiteds and be done with it . There's a lot of them in the marketplace right now

12-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #20
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this normal????
I bypassed the AF zooms because they are generally too much of a compromise, but picked up a bunch of manual lenses on "ye olde auction site" often for little more than $20 a piece (plus the high shipping we have in the great not-so white north). So yes, totally normal, have fun, play with lenses and only stop bidding if it is something I want :0
12-22-2014, 09:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Greetings!

This forum has been an immense source of great info for me, so here goes...

6 months ago I thought it was about time to move from my point-and-shoot (Kodak) to a DSLR. Did my research and figured Pentax would be the way to go - it just seemed to be the best value proposition vis-a-vis Canonikon. I was only going to dip my toes to see where I wanted to go.

Well, next thing you know I am down a rabbit hole. I now have a K-50 and a K-3 (supposedly one for me and one my wife, at least that's what I told her...and told myself). Got the usual kit lenses (18-55 and 50-200). And then got the cheapo Tamron (70-300). And the thirst was unquenchable so got a Sigma 18-250. Well, and then it was only a question of 'why not?' so got the 50mm Macro (was on sale on Pentax web store for $350) and a 35mm prime (also on sale for at B&H).

And then I discovered eBay. Don't really know what hit me but I now have about 6-8 manual focus lenses ranging from $20 to $60...mostly primes.

Is this normal????

Cheers.
Welcome to the family.

---------- Post added 12-22-14 at 10:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
LBA is only out of control once you start buying binoculars.
Does gun scopes count?
12-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Welcome to Pentax Forum, but if you think we are here to help you overcome your LBA you've come to the wrong place lol

12-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you friends!

If only I had read or heard about this LBA thing beforehand...prevention would have been better than cure.

Then again, maybe not, in this case. Who knew an affliction could be so much fun!

Cheers.
12-22-2014, 10:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member

prevention would have been better than cure.
Now for some more infection.

Lens Clubs - PentaxForums.com
12-22-2014, 10:17 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mee --

Sage advice.

I have been going to state parks and shooting critters. Also shot my street's block party and that turned out nice. I learned a lot but also realized there is a long way to go. It is winter now and I want try snowflakes with macro (prime, reversing ring, double lenses, extension tubes) and snowscapes.

For post processing, I have Adobe Elements 13...got it on B&H for 40 bucks during one of their day sales. Is that good enough? Or would you still recommend Lightroom?

Cheers.