Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-27-2014, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #1

Hello from North Alabama

Hello everyone. I am completely new to photography. So new I am just starting. I have spent the last few weeks researching what camera I wanted to be my first. After countless Google searches and YouTube videos I decided that pentax was the best way to go. My first choice was the K3, however try as I may I just cannot fit it into my budget. I decided to go with a K5 iis. Still seems like it will be a great camera and the only thing that was pushing me to the K3 was the video performance. I decided I didn't really need that anyway and I can always upgrade of i decide I really want to stick with it.

The reason I have started to gain an interest in photography is really because of my other hobbies. My other interests include: cigars, edc, camping(outdoors in general), and as the GM of a pet store I also really enjoy keeping plaudariums, vivariums, and fish tanks. Spending time on forums that deal with these hobbies, I am constantly confronted with amazing photos that put my camera phone pics to shame.

My main interest, right now anyway, in photography is with wildlife/pets. I am getting to go camping more often these days and would love to be able to capture some of the amazing things you can find out in the woods. When I say wildlife I mean small things, plants, insects, reptiles, etc.. . I would also like to document my tanks that I set up at home. I have always enjoyed bugging my friends with shot after shot of a particular way a plant in one tank or another is looking or the steps I took to build a tank and get a particular look in the tank.

That's about it I guess. I am really looking forward to learning from everyone's experience as I read through the forum.

-Michael

12-28-2014, 01:45 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, interesting to see you list cigars as hobby... is that collecting them or smoking them or a bit of both.
12-28-2014, 04:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard.
12-28-2014, 08:43 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, interesting to see you list cigars as hobby... is that collecting them or smoking them or a bit of both.
I guess a bit of both, however all of them will eventually burn. I enjoy finding the limited releases or rare ones.

When I first started I was surprised to see how many photographers where into cigars. Most just causally snap a photo of what they are smoking but there are a few who really take time to set up a nice shot. They even have Flickr and instagrams that show off all their photos

12-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum...
12-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by questionablesanity Quote
I enjoy finding the limited releases or rare ones
Do you have any of those Delectados, made famous by James Bond in "Day Another Day"?
01-01-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome from south Alabama!

01-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

If you are interested in photographing flowers and insects, then you will want a Macro lens. Preferably with a longer focal range (say 90mm or larger). Reason being the longer the focal length, the further away you can be with the camera. Tamron makes a 90mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma makes a 105mm f/2.8 macro (2 versions a new and an old; both have good IQ), Pentax makes a 100mm f/2.8 WR macro... any will do. You can even get an older, manual focus macro lens since you will not need autofocus at macro size (moving the whole camera back and forth a few millimeter will be enough to properly focus).

Pentax is a solid choice for the adventurer/camper since they are pretty rugged. Esp if you use WR (Weather Resistant) lenses so the whole kit has some level of sealing from the outside.

Make sure to get some silica packs (I use the reusable ones in the metal tins -- bake them to reactivate) and put those in with your camera equipment after being in moist/wet conditions with your gear too. You don't want Fungus destroying your expensive lenses!!
01-02-2015, 12:48 AM   #9

Welcome! I am new as well, having just ordered the Pentax K-50. :-)

From what I have read, a Circular Polarizer filter (CP) really helps with glare when taking pictures of reflective items-- may be useful if you plan on taking terrarium/aquarium photographs?

I am an outdoors enthusiast as well, and it is the rugged weather resistance that drew me to Pentax.

Keep us updated on which model you decide upon!
01-02-2015, 07:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! There's a lot of fun ahead.

For your indoors photography you might consider the Sigma 28 macro, I use it for close work.