Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2014, 03:27 PM   #1

super takumar f2 /55

I have just loaded my SV,which I have never used before. On looking closely at the lens I noticed that there is another stop not marked on the aperture ring.This must give it a stop of 1.8. At f2 one can see the blades just peeping,move the ring a touch further and the blades disappear. It must make some difference to the exposure. Time will tell. This is like the extra shutter speed on the SP500.The number on my lens is 874882.

12-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Curious. The 55/2 was a denatured version of the 55/1.8 (seems from comments of others that is was a post-manufacture QC check).
Because you made me curious I have just checked my two samples:
55/2, 936969, STak.
55/1.8, 704239, STak.
The differences in the vanity ring are that the 1.8 is quite noticeably more open.
The aperture rings rotate in opposite directions, both only go to 16. There were many versions of these lenses through the history of manufacture, most versions only being made for a year or two. Probably volume of manufacture as a the kit lens made minor manufacturing improvements commercially desirable.
The f2 version shows the effect you describe - a tiny visibility of the aperture blades at f2 and an unmarked additional stop where they are not visible.
My guess is the vanity ring results in that making no difference to exposure, i.e. the blade you see at f2 are out of the active transmission area.
The A/M switch on the f2 is smaller than that on the 1.8. Neither A/M switch is labelled with a maker's part number.

Both are nice but I prefer my 1.8. One day I will sell the 2 as surplus to my photographic needs.

I bought the 2 from someone in England on eBay, my first Tak lens. The 1.8 I bought much later on eBay but forget now whether from England or US.
12-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
According the the service manuals / parts lists here, the 55/2 and 55/1.8 both had same part number glass elements, but the annular metal bores had different part numbers.
I think I have put more details in other threads about this.

I have a -K 55/2 here, in excellent condition and I use it sometimes on the Pentax MX and ist-ds.
12-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #4

Original Poster
Super Takumar

Thank you for the replies. I took the lens in question to a man in Preston who deals in film cameras and his young assistant put the lens onto his Sony digital camera ,which had an adapter on it,and he showed me the viewfinder readout which positively indicated f1.8. This is convincing to me. Regards,and a Very Happy New Year.

12-31-2014, 06:16 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, it's a third of stop different if it's real, biggest advantage is a tad brighter viewfinder.