Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #1

Oddball from Utah

Hello,

Inherited Pentax LONG ago, and have kept with it mostly because of the lens investment. Only fairly recently made the jump to digital, however, and still getting my feet under me there a bit. Most my actual photography these days goes hand in hand with my primary hobby of building Halloween items, so it's always with odd lighting and situations.

12-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Aboard. Nice blend of hobbies!
12-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #3

Hello, and welcome. I enjoy the interesting light in the photos, and good to see your Pentax performs well under the pressure of nighttime photography. May I ask: ehat kind of DSLR did you end up purchasing? Thank you.
12-30-2014, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
I originally purchased an Ist D when they come out. However, I couldn't get the old lenses to work on it at the time, so was just shooting with what few AF lenses I had and still stuck with film for more serious work. Around 2007, a project of mine fried the Ist (they are not shielded against high electro magnetic fields, FYI). Or rather the light meter and autofocus aspects of the ist got fried, so I replaced it with a K100, which I've been shooting with since. Most my 'serious' work, I still did with film, however as my best lenses are old school. Found out how to get the old lenses to work on these digital cameras around 2009, and have increasingly moved to digital since then. The shots above are from 2011-2013 on the K100. I keep the ISO down at 200 or so even in the dark. Had to shoot the middle pic on the bulb setting as a result.

Last year, I got a light meter in a grab bag of lenses, and flicked on the old ist D. Works rather well on full manual with the handheld meter and old lenses, considering making it a permanent M42 rig.

Also considering a new camera this year, but want to try my hand at some macro photography as bugs are another hobby of mine and I've been having a ball with the macro setting on my little point and shoot, so debating new (to me, probably older, maybe K30) body or new lens(es).

12-31-2014, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Unorthodox Quote
primary hobby of building Halloween items
Welcome to the forum, is this your proper job all year round? never met someone who does this before.
12-31-2014, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, is this your proper job all year round? never met someone who does this before.

I do work on things year round, yes. Well, most the year. November-December is more planning than building. Just started purchasing supplies for 2015 and will start building shortly. First sculpture of 2015 probably will be completed around April with several following in quick succession (making many similar ones this year).

While I do sell items almost every year, have built things specifically on commission for a haunted house or two, and have been known to be a consultant/planner for professional haunted houses, it's not what I do for a living. The business end of hobbies never seems to be pleasant to me, and sucks the joy out. So, I just keep it as hobby and sell what I want, when I want.
12-31-2014, 08:12 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
have built things specifically on commission for a haunted house or two, and have been known to be a consultant/planner for professional haunted houses
That must provide for interesting photo opportunities.

I just keep it as hobby and sell what I want, when I want
Good for you, that sounds a great plan and and a good way to do it.

12-31-2014, 09:59 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
That must provide for interesting photo opportunities.
Unfortunately, not that I can share publicly. Professional haunts don't like photos of their things being spread around, it's all supposed to be a surprise. I have a decent portfolio for potential clients, though, yes.
12-31-2014, 05:52 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
Great Pictures. Night shots are challenging to me.
01-05-2015, 08:22 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
Heard theres a Park City in Utah. Supposed to be a good place get some pictures?
01-05-2015, 09:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's better to have a hobby that you can photograph than to have photography as your sole hobby. Welcome !