Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2015, 05:12 AM   #1

K2 owner since 1977

Hi, fellows.
I am new here from today and I have a k2 since 1977 with additional lenses see serial 7034908

01-01-2015, 05:23 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy all that you see here.
01-01-2015, 05:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An early adopter of the K2, I see. I didn't get my K2DMD until 1981. They were (and still are – mine hasn't missed a beat in the last 33 years) great cameras. Do you still use yours, and have you moved to digital, as well?

Welcome to Pentax Forums. Enjoy your time here, and post some photos when you have time.
01-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from Alabama!

01-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I just recently got a K2. Did you always use it with batteries? I want to shoot some film though mine but just starting out.
01-02-2015, 07:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
An early adopter of the K2, I see. I didn't get my K2DMD until 1981. They were (and still are – mine hasn't missed a beat in the last 33 years) great cameras. Do you still use yours, and have you moved to digital, as well?

Welcome to Pentax Forums. Enjoy your time here, and post some photos when you have time.
Hi Folks,

Thank you for your replies. I haven't used my k2 camera for almost three decades. I want to go for a digital one but I want use my vintage SMC lenses 1.4/50, 3.5/24 and 3,5/135. I don't bother AF. Recently I noticed that my old lenses can be used on a K5IIs or K3 camera without a adapter mount. So I want to buy a K3 here in Holland for Euro 926 because Pentax/Ricoh gives a cash back after sale of 80 Euros.

Question:
Can I use my vintage lenses without problems on the K3 or is it not advisable.

I checked this weekend the K2 camera without film and it worked fine all functions ok, the battery still measures a amazing 2,7V after three decades.

greetings

Otto Poll
Burgh-Haamstede
Netherlands - Zeeland
mail: ottopoll@zeelandnet.nl
01-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by o.poll Quote
Hi Folks,

Thank you for your replies. I haven't used my k2 camera for almost three decades. I want to go for a digital one but I want use my vintage SMC lenses 1.4/50, 3.5/24 and 3,5/135. I don't bother AF. Recently I noticed that my old lenses can be used on a K5IIs or K3 camera without a adapter mount. So I want to buy a K3 here in Holland for Euro 926 because Pentax/Ricoh gives a cash back after sale of 80 Euros.

Question:

I checked this weekend the K2 camera without film and it worked fine all functions ok, the battery still measures a amazing 2,7V after three decades.

greetings

Otto Poll
Burgh-Haamstede
Netherlands - Zeeland
mail: ottopoll@zeelandnet.nl
Wow, how is that battery still good in your K2? I believe you can use those vintage lens with the K mount on the K3. I use my modern Dslr with my SMC 1.4/50 successfully. That lens performs very well but then you have to know its going to be zoom in a little more then on your K2. A 50mm old lens become a short telephoto lens like 70-80mm on our modern pentax cameras... because the smaller square size of the sensor in comparison to the larger square of 35mm film the old lens was designed to work with. And that's great for taking portraits on your new camera. etc

To use an old lens reminds me of using a vintage camera. You have to adjust your aperture ring and focus. I select permit the use aperture ring on my camera and also adjust my shutter speed. Also the focus will be more center weighted. The new lens are great for automatic and quick focusing but now they usually don't come with aperture rings.... you get advantages and disadvantages with all lens.

Just got me a new battery for my K2 and its amazing piece of technology to play with. I still can't believe its an automatic camera of its day....

01-02-2015, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by o.poll Quote
Question:
You can use any Pentax K-mount lens or M42 screw-mount lens (the latter with a simple adapter) on a Pentax DSLR. Naturally, with an M42 or a K-, M- or A-series lens you won't have Automatic Focus, but they will work otherwise. The A-series lenses will provide aperture information to the body, and you'll have to set the others to Manual mode, as the full-aperture metering they allowed on your K2 won't work with the current version of the K-mount. For us old film camera users, that isn't generally a problem.
01-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
You can use any Pentax K-mount lens or M42 screw-mount lens (the latter with a simple adapter) on a Pentax DSLR. Naturally, with an M42 or a K-, M- or A-series lens you won't have Automatic Focus, but they will work otherwise. The A-series lenses will provide aperture information to the body, and you'll have to set the others to Manual mode, as the full-aperture metering they allowed on your K2 won't work with the current version of the K-mount. For us old film camera users, that isn't generally a problem.
Yes I was curious what my modern Pentax 18-250mm SMC lens will do on my K2 body... It doesn't have aperture controls on the lens.
01-02-2015, 02:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by camerasup Quote
Yes I was curious what my modern Pentax 18-250mm SMC lens will do on my K2 body... It doesn't have aperture controls on the lens.
It will vignette, of course, especially at the wide end, as it's designed for an APS-C sensor, and you'll only be able to use it at full aperture. Generally speaking, it wouldn't be advisable to use it on your K2.