Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2015, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #1

Hello from the Central Coast of California!

Hello Pentaxians!

I pre-apologize for spelling errors, I don't have internet at home so I am writing this via mobile. ;-)

Short story:
I just got a K-50 and I am really excited!!

Long story:
I took a film photography & development class 15 years ago, absolutely loved it, but it was just too expensive and I did not even own a camera (had borrowed a family member's for the class) so I was unable to pursue photography.

Add 15 years, year 2015, it is still expensive, but I was tired of waiting "for the right time", so here I am. I took the plunge with a brand new Pentax K-50 kit from Costco (included 2 lenses: 18-55 and 50-200, both DA L WR, plus extras).

I consider myself an absolute noob, but I am an avid researcher and I now consume anything I can get my hands on regarding photography, equipment, and technique. I have also signed up for a digital photography class to begin mid-January from my local community college.

I am excited and a bit overwhelmed. So much to learn! So many toys to buy! But I have been anxiously yearning for a DSLR since my first photography class in year 2000, it just took me this long to figure out the financial side of things (let's hope I can afford groceries and rent! Haha).

Beyond photography, I am an avid swing dancer (West Coast Swing addict!), and artist (acrylic is my usual medium). I enjoy horseback riding, hiking, camping, live music, and learning to play guitar. :-)

I am thankful to have randomly come across this site, it fully influenced my decision to go Pentax. ;-D

01-01-2015, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Aboard! Congratulations on your new K-50! Happy New Year!
01-01-2015, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF! Looking forward to seeing some images!
01-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you, I look forward to posting images as well!

Having just moved, and then moved again, then busy with family time and holidays, I have yet to install internet at home, which is on my 2015 "to do" list. :-)

01-01-2015, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum. Digital gear is expensive, but digital "film" is not :-)
01-01-2015, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congrats on the new purchase. That was the package that got me into learning more about Pentax cameras. Hope it really works great for you!
01-02-2015, 12:17 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by camerasup Quote
Congrats on the new purchase. That was the package that got me into learning more about Pentax cameras. Hope it really works great for you!
Thank you! Have you expanded your equipment (or gone for a different set-up?) now that you have learned more? I do appreciate how the K-50 seems to have plenty of options that I can "grow into" as a photographer, but just wondering what your experience has been.

I did just order a "nifty fifty", new for $120, I could not resist. Hoping to get that in a week or so.
01-02-2015, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Equus17 Quote
Thank you! Have you expanded your equipment (or gone for a different set-up?) now that you have learned more? I do appreciate how the K-50 seems to have plenty of options that I can "grow into" as a photographer, but just wondering what your experience has been.

I did just order a "nifty fifty", new for $120, I could not resist. Hoping to get that in a week or so.
Yes I decided to take a different route. Let me explain what I mean.

I was almost committed to get the k50 with the two lens for around $530... but somewhere in my quest for my right answers I discovered its not about the camera you own but the lens you own that matters the most. I also asked the question of the difference between a starter dslr and a more professional/advance dlsr. Which let me to the answer that its simply about having more quick controls to help you take the best shot.

So I figured if I'm committed to spending that much money to get started with Dslr, what else can I do with all that or what are my options?

I was able to find a great deal from this lady who was given a Pentax by her brother with a higher end lens then normal. It happened to be the older k20d with a modern cool lens SMC DA 18-250mm for a great price for a beginner like myself for $250 total with 2 batteries, charger, cleaning tools, manual, uv filter on lens, etc recently in Nov of 2014 with shutter count at a little above 6000. She just wanted something a little less advanced and bulky I imagine...

Perfect timing to start practicing for the holidays right? I mean if the body were to fail I still got an advanced and versatile lens with great resale value and to use with a k-50, k-5, k-3, or whatever later. Also learned we can use old and a bit less expensive lens on these modern cameras with fantastic results. What a terrific benefit to a beginner like ourselves with limited budget but strong passion to start in photography.

After that purchase of course I wanted to try out a NEW or older 35mm to 50mm and check it out myself. I was also was interested to see then if I can get a film camera to play with and then swap then lens as well to use with modern Pentax DSLR. I couldn't be more happier when I lucked out and found an old but like new looking K2 with two lens and all sorts old of stuff. One of those lens just happened to be the infamous M 50mm 1.4. Christmas came early for me. In turn I have amassed a small but capable, yet inexpensive arsenal of photography equipment with a little left over for more purchases.

So that's the a little story on my start in DSLR journey with Pentax.... I went from a funky cool Pentax X-5 Bridge to the K20d and a K2. So you can bet I'm happy about my image quality no doubt. I do have a few old lenses on the way(135mm, 28mm).

I recommend to do be careful with a limited budget, you never know, deals can show up. Do ask if its a need or want. Some people like to shop New, that's fine too. Sometimes another mans trash is another mans treasure. There will always be plenty of options. I remember a wealthy man's saying... he prefers to buy his straw hats in the winter.... when nobody else needs to buy them(probably cheaper?).

I look forward to your success with the new camera and lens! Good luck again to you and all beginners.

01-02-2015, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from Chicago!

Take your time, learn your gear and then start looking to buy numerous lenses!
01-03-2015, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Equus17 Quote
I am writing this via mobile
Welcome to the forum, aye with the smallest keyboard possible and the world famous auto correct, spelling hasn't got much chance.