Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2015, 06:17 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Greetings from another corner of country Victoria

Enjoy your time on the site.

James

PS I enjoy my 10-17. I lost my 16-45 to my daughter who refuses to give it back. Can't quite afford to replace it yet.

01-03-2015, 06:18 AM   #17
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Glad to be able to help.

All the best Dianna. Sounds like some time away will do you good.

You can't fail to get some good shots at the Prom - point the camera in any direction, up or down, in or out.

Last edited by Des; 01-03-2015 at 02:17 PM.
01-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #18
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alweyn Quote
Last time I was at the Prom I was doing work experience and walked the south, west and half of the north coast measuring tracks in the week I was there, missed out seeing the lighthouse by "that much"!.
Some work experience.

Since you missed out on the lighthouse, here it is.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
01-03-2015, 07:27 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have my eye on the PENTAX 16-45mm.
There is one on the Market place in the forum now

01-05-2015, 11:28 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Some work experience.

Since you missed out on the lighthouse, here it is.
Thanks Guys for the info, Internet keeps dropping out, grr technology.
Des stop teasing me! Today arrived my new lens - I really don't know why I didn't do it earlier. Just taking snaps of the Family Day Care kids - already notice a difference.
So thanks for the info guys I appreciate it!
01-06-2015, 05:08 AM   #21
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Today arrived my new lens
That was quick!

The 16-45 is well regarded, especially for its evenness (ie corners compared to centre), which makes it ideal for landscapes. No doubt you read the user reviews, but see these too:
Pentax SMC-DA 16-45mm f/4 ED AL - Review / Test Report
Pentax DA 16-45 f4 | Lens Reviews | The Northcoast Photographer - Greg is a member here and his comments are always helpful
Best Standard zoom - DxOMark

You will get more from it if you try shooting in RAW and post-processing. But it sounds like life might get in the way of that ...

Keep an eye out in the marketplace here, and on Gumtree.com.au and ebay, for a 50mm lens and a 55-300 and you'll be set. Sometimes bargains like this turn up:
Pentax Lens 50mm F/1.8 SMC DA Lens like new only $100 | Digital Cameras | Gumtree Australia Gold Coast North - Helensvale | 1066664872 - DA 50 f1.8 for $100.
SMC - Pentax 50mm DA f/1.8 with lens hood | Digital Camera Accessories | Gumtree Australia Liverpool Area - Moorebank | 1065299716 - another for $120

When they do, jump in. Don't wait til the next quarter!

Enjoy your new lens and enjoy the Prom Dianna.
01-07-2015, 07:04 PM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks Des
I was looking at that lens but he was selling it as a kit with K5 plus 2 lenses for $800 on facebook, then started to sell them off individually as he had with no response as a package. I wasn't sure what I should be looking at - that's when I found this site looking at reviews. Des your advice has been invaluable.
I shoot in Raw - learnt that one real quick.
My first real shot with the new lens at the start of yesterdays storms brewing overhead. Couldn't get out due to working.
Will look into the 50mm lens.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
01-07-2015, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have my eye on the PENTAX 16-45mm. I would like to go better but funds are limited at the moment. I am aiming 1 new lens each quarter. That's the plan anyway.
My first Pentax lens after the kit lens was the DA 16-45 f4, and it was a great step up from the Sigma kit lens which had me worried about the quality of my K200D! You can still buy it new directly from Pentax Australia - and bear in mind that the prices in their online store include shipping. Just over a year ago I bought the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 via the web from Hong Kong and it is significantly sharper than the DA 16-45. Alas, I've had some issues with the Tamron on my K3 but it works perfectly on the K5iis. I was actually considering buying a new DA 16-45 because servicing the existing one will probably cost almost as much.