Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2015, 11:32 PM   #1

New Member - old man

Hi - My first Pentax was an Asahi Spotmatic purchased in Germany in 1970 maybe 1971. It came with an Asahi F4 50mm, camera croaked maybe thirty years ago, however I had been given a Honeywell Spotmatic and it came with a Pentax 200mm, eventually purchased an Acura 35mm. Then they sat for many years while I toiled in making a decision to go digital. I wanted to use my lenses so visited with another guy and he said I could use my manual lenses on a new Pentax,.....I waited and 3 weeks ago went to Australia and dropped my Samsung Note 3 - basically blew $750 by trying to use it on the end of a "Selfie Stick" - phone was to heavy for the end of it and it twisted, dropped out of spring loaded holder and broke LED, Long story short, no camera for last part of trip except an old Kodak 6 mega pixel. While trying to get camera repaired down under, came across a store called Georges Camera, on George Street in Sydney. Learning that my bluetooth selfie stick's spring loaded holder was an extended disaster I purchased at Georges a really heavy duty clamp that could handle the weight - well sort of but thats a different tale. In discovering that you can claim you sales tax and get a refund when you leave the country, I discovered that you need to spend $300 Australian on the same day in the same store to qualify for the 10% GST tax. Well putting the cart before the horse, I was about 100 short of the 300 rounding out at 201.17 or so, so I said self "now is the time to spring into action and put the cart before the horse, so I bought a Sigma 18-55 and that put me over the threshold and I was able to get my sales tax refund of about $30 Australian (about 24 $US) which has not been received yet as I wait baited breath. Well what good are 3 old M42 manual lenses with 3 extension tubes and one brand new one without at working DSLR? So reading on this forum as I researched where to buy, I found B&H, where I got a K3 Body, battery pack, & FLU Card and a M42 to K Mount Adapter for a great price. It got delivered and being excited I soon discovered I was lacking so went back on line and found a Pentax DAL 50-200 and now I have taken a few pictures. Today I was looking at the Minneapolis Craigslist - and found a ZX-10 with a Tamron 70-300, a Pentax -F 35-80 and lurking in the box was a Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF MC4 Teleconvertor and a new QuantaRay large backpack bag all for $45. I could not post a review of any equipment until I wrote a little about myself so please bear with. Also another Craigslist add had a ZX-50 with a Sears Macro Zoom F4 80-200 with a SMC Pentax-FA 28-80mm, also with about 9 filters and related stuff and this was procured for $55. Well it was a good day shopping now to get to work. Oh by the way now I will write a review on the Tamron Teleconverter that now has made my day knowing they are rare and going for between 200 and 450 clams! I guess I was lucky

01-03-2015, 03:05 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums, it looks like you've got your LBA well under control there, or should that be the other way around.
01-03-2015, 03:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
well, that escalated quickly.

the 35-70 f3.5-4.5 is a very good and cheap lens. Keh.com has them some times for $40. I would also get a 16-45 because its a bargain these days at ca $200 used.
01-04-2015, 06:21 AM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard, and thanks for the intro! Yep, that sounds all too familiar. The growth rate of my lens collection has, it seems, finally slowed down. Hopefully that means I can concentrate on taking pictures rather than scouring online markets...

01-04-2015, 07:27 AM   #5
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums. Old is good. Except for all the nuisance parts like joints and sight and short-term memory loss and ... I bought my Spottie about the same time as you did. We'd used them in the magazine I helped edit and finally broke down and got my own instead of using ones from the shop. It croaked a few years back but I still have my LX and it's original 55mm - had to treat it with UV to rid it of the brown cast but works great. Then got hooked by digital starting with a little Epson of all things. *istDS, K20, K5, KIIs, K3 and lenses I discover in drawers that I don't even remember buying. (Maybe they mutate?)
LBA is. Beautiful thing - don't even try to fight it. There's no real cure.