Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2015, 11:15 PM   #1

Clueless Pentax Newbie from Maryland

Hey all - thanks for the the great forum. You have successfully changed my mind from buying a new D5300, and it was at the last minute, so I'm excited.....and I hope you don't let me down ;-)

I don't consider myself impulsive, and I do a lot of research when buying new toys, but I had narrowed my first DSLR purchase to a T5i or a D5300 (things were leaning in the direction of the D53) over a one week period....and I wasn't feeling completely "sold" on the Nikon or Canon.

Then, with a ~$900 D53 kit in my shopping cart, I quickly searched for information on legacy lenses and Pentax started showing up. I had essentially forgotten they (Pentax) were still producing cameras. My morning turned into a 6-hour spec-check and by 5PM on 12/31/2014 I hit the "confirm order" button for a new K-5iis with a D-BG4 Grip, 64GB class 10, AF-200FG, Pentax DA 50mm f1.8, a bag, etc for $700.

Since I "saved" ~$200 over the Nikon, I've come down with the LBA. I haven't bought any (excluding the 50mm), but holy cow, I've been looking non-stop for the last 3 days. I think I'm going to go cheap and just try out some well reviewed lenses. I figure I can fall back on the 50 if I get flustered and I'm a tinkering person, so I like a challenge - and I love taking cheap/free "crap" and finding how it can make some value/bring some joy (I'm a Jeep Cherokee owner).

I'm 100% new to everything. I didn't know what f-stops were. I thought "bokeh" was a word that everyone was misspelling on purpose. I'm hoping some other newbies (noobs) might be able to sway me as I look for some fun glass.

Next up:

Macro lens

Zoom

I figure I'm off to a good start and can hopefully get good, clean used examples for around $100 each. I'll be around, trolling the great information found here......and I'm so excited to have a DSLR that no one else that I know has (mostly Rebel owners in my network). I'm hoping I can make them scratch their heads with the K-5 :-)

Thanks again,

jason

01-03-2015, 11:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! Same here thing happened to me 5 years ago. Now I'm the owner of a lot of Pentax gear. Good luck!
01-04-2015, 12:24 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the wonderful world of Pentax! I believe you will love your K5iis. One thread that helped me take a big step with my K5iis was titled "Perfect Focus Everytime". Find that thread to set up your camera to use the back button focus . It seems so natural with the K5 and I believe will help you as well. Enjoy and welcome aboard!
01-04-2015, 01:12 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. The K5iis is a solid performer, excellent value for money currently. Loo forward to read your posts and see your photos.

Personally I shoot mostly primes and Pentax has a lot to offer with outstanding primes within 14 to 100 mm. For example the FA Limited series (the 'three amigos'), DA Limited series (pancakes lenses), DA* prime series.

01-04-2015, 01:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

welcome jason and congrats! I am sure LBA will win no matter what, but I encourage you anyway to take your time and enjoy the learning curve to its fullest! The lens you purchased is fully capable of keeping you busy, teaching you plenty, and will help you refine even more what you're looking for in the next lenses. I also recommend trying the monthly challenge with your new gear. It's not too late to jump in for January.
01-04-2015, 03:32 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by jasonson Quote
I hope you don't let me down
Welcome to the forum, I wouldn't rely on me too much... the rest of the folk here you can.
01-04-2015, 07:44 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Good Morning and Welcome to the Forum,

Here are two links that you might be interested in. There is a set of beginners classes on the web from OZ on photography that are free (which is good) - and starts tomorrow!Then here is a set of links for legacy lenses - various databases and lists - including the Forum's....
01-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #8
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm 100% new to everything. I didn't know what f-stops were. I thought "bokeh" was a word that everyone was misspelling on purpose. I'm hoping some other newbies (noobs) might be able to sway me as I look for some.
I an oldbie but thanks to that every day is a new day and I get get to try and figure out what f-stops are all over again. We all still operate with learners permits here so enjoy. And do not, I repeat, do not go near the Marketplace on the forum.

01-04-2015, 08:41 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! I too had planned on a T5i; when I asked a friend what he was shooting. He had awesome photos of dogs running in their contests. His reply; Pentax! I had never considered Pentax, and now in just a few months, I have 2 bodies, 3 lenses, and still cannot stay away from our Marketplace here!

Speaking of the Marketplace, check out the top of the forum about Donating to the site. For a small donation to help keeping this wonderful site open, that will grant you access to buy/sell in the MarketPlace from fellow members! Well worth it!
01-04-2015, 08:49 AM   #10
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevwaly Quote
Welcome to the wonderful world of Pentax! I believe you will love your K5iis. One thread that helped me take a big step with my K5iis was titled "Perfect Focus Everytime". Find that thread to set up your camera to use the back button focus . It seems so natural with the K5 and I believe will help you as well. Enjoy and welcome aboard!
You can try that, but remember you can always reset the camera back in case you don't like that setup (I did not like it at ALL).

For Macro use there are a few choices..

Tamron 90mm f/2.8
Pentax 100mm f/2.8 WR
Sigma 105mm f/2.8

for current, long macro lenses in the 90+ mm range. If you are planning on photographing bugs, then I think you will want the range that one of these offers.

Just make sure you find a macro lens that handles full 1:1 magnification. The cheaper ones do 1:2 or 1:3..

You could optionally get a set of extension tubes and a manual lens with an aperture ring if just wanting to play around with close focusing... but I'd get a true macro lens instead. :c )
01-05-2015, 09:03 PM   #11

Original Poster
To Docrwm - Thanks, I'll be sure to follow your footsteps

To Kevwaly - Thank you, I will most certainly read

To hcc - awesome, I appreciate your input

To todd - thank you for the encouragement, after shooting tonight I'm itching to get some natural light and practice tomorrow. I'm realizing how far I can go and how much I have to learn

To interested_observer - love it, checking those out now. Thank you

To jac - Well said! And I will (not) stay away for the market ;-)

To csa - Good to hear we're out there. And I will most certainly donate so I can participate (which is a great idea on getting donations from members, by the way)

To mee - Thank you for your list, helps with researching to have someone point you in a good direction.

I raced home and yanked the camera out of the box tonight, threw in the battery and fired off ~115 shots before the battery totally drained. I've got a long way to go, but man, what a difference from the Fuji HS20EXR (haha, don't judge) we bought for vacation a few years ago. I can't wait to see what lower ISOs will bring me tomorrow. Thanks again everyone and thanks for your kind words. Good evening.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
01-05-2015, 10:33 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

To Docrwm - Thanks, I'll be sure to follow your footsteps To Kevwaly - Thank you, I will most certainly read To hcc - awesome, I appreciate your input To todd - thank you for the encouragement, after shooting tonight I'm itching to get some natural light and practice tomorrow. I'm realizing how far I can go and how much I have to learn To interested_observer - love it, checking those out now. Thank you To jac - Well said! And I will (not) stay away for the market ;-) To csa - Good to hear we're out there. And I will most certainly donate so I can participate (which is a great idea on getting donations from members, by the way) To mee - Thank you for your list, helps with researching to have someone point you in a good direction.
Pro tip that will get others to see that you mentioned them: either prefix their usernames with an @ sign (like @jasonson) or simply highlight the part of their posts that you want to quote, and you'll see a popup you can click to quickly quote the selected text

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-06-2015, 10:59 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pro tip that will get others to see that you mentioned them: either prefix their usernames with an @ sign (like @jasonson) or simply highlight the part of their posts that you want to quote, and you'll see a popup you can click to quickly quote the selected text
Ahhh, thanks Adam. I appreciate the tip.