Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2015, 01:28 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hello from Sweden

Went to southern Africa last autumn to visit some friends.
I knew we would be going out on a safari at some point. So, although I still love my old Panasonic LX3 (point-and-shooter), I thought I should perhaps bring along a camera with some zoom capabilities.
Not liking the idea to carry along a DSLR or even a Micro Four Thirds, I was primarily looking for a bridge camera like Sony RX10.

Did not like any of them.

The sellers did their best to force a Nikon or Canon DSLR on me but I was already giving up the idea to buy a camera.
Then, the day before the trip, I entered a shop and tried the Pentax K-50. Ended up buying it along with a 18-135 mm kit lens and taking some wonderful shots down in Africa and never worrying about
sand, dust or rain.

Having tried, fallen in love and bought an FA-lens to complement the kit lens, this starts to become an expensive hobby.
I am glad Pentax/Ricoh doesn´t do full format bodies or this would indeed get out of hands.

01-04-2015, 02:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello and welcome to Pentax Forums. You deserve our admiration for holding out against the salesmen's pressure and finding what was right for you. Far too many people overlook Pentax cameras because they are not promoted by sales people, so good on you!

Now, be warned: the more you explore the possibilities of your new system, the more you'll hear the siren song of other lenses calling to you. The consolation for you is that you will be in good company, here.

Enjoy your time here, and use this site as a valuable research tool. Good luck in your quest for learning.
01-04-2015, 03:35 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Alzheim Quote
taking some wonderful shots down in Africa
Welcome aboard, you can't just leave us all hanging like that, we want to see 'em.

Please post a few in the relevant section here on the forum.
01-04-2015, 07:14 AM   #4

Nice choice for DSLR, you are going to enjoy it. I have tried K-50 recently(my friend both one before Christmas for just 299 $ with the kit lens) and I absolutely love this body, the image result is truly outstanding with pretty much any lens I have used with it.
Cheers.

01-04-2015, 07:55 AM   #5

Original Poster
Have uploaded some photos now (I believe).
Please, bear in mind that they are my first photos ever using a DSLR :P
My plan was to read the manual of the K-50 on the flight down but I fell asleep.
Had to learn the camera on the go as we pretty much headed for the safari upon our landing.
Might be the reason why I probably missed the photo of my life, when I forgot I had this DSLR in my lap when that elephant attacked our car.
Not even a selfie...
01-05-2015, 11:18 AM   #6

Thanks for the pics, IMHO you have some softness at 135 mm, if you want to take my advice the best aperture for the lens used (18-135) is 7.1 - 8 for rendering dead sharp pics (with K-3).
Other than that, the pics are awesome. Keep shooting .
01-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
.....Might be the reason why I probably missed the photo of my life, when I forgot I had this DSLR in my lap when that elephant attacked our car.
Not even a selfie...
Welcome to a great reference forum for all things Pentax and photography in general.

BTW: I hope you are refering to a mock charge with the ears out, as if the elephant really attacked your car you are luck to be alive... A not common event, but it happens. A good rule is to avoid males bulls in musth. Very dangerous. And also stay clear of the babies.
http://citizen.co.za/231938/elephant-overturns-car-kruger-park/
http://www.citypress.co.za/multimedia/kruger-national-park-elephant-attack-goes-viral/

Last edited by KevinR; 01-05-2015 at 12:14 PM.
01-06-2015, 03:08 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
Welcome to a great reference forum for all things Pentax and photography in general.

BTW: I hope you are refering to a mock charge with the ears out, as if the elephant really attacked your car you are luck to be alive... A not common event, but it happens. A good rule is to avoid males bulls in musth. Very dangerous. And also stay clear of the babies.
Elephant overturns car in Kruger Park | The Citizen
Kruger National Park elephant attack goes viral - City Press
Yes, it wanted to scare us away as we accidently came between it and its baby. I sort of knew it wasn't for real but it kept chasing us when the driver backed away at full speed. Man, aren't they fast despite their size. And mock or not, scary as hell

---------- Post added 01-06-15 at 11:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pavel_Zhelev Quote
Thanks for the pics, IMHO you have some softness at 135 mm, if you want to take my advice the best aperture for the lens used (18-135) is 7.1 - 8 for rendering dead sharp pics (with K-3).
Other than that, the pics are awesome. Keep shooting .
Thanks for the tip. I will probably be using the lens outdoors for street and landscape. I guess 7.1-8 will still be useful then. Especially since it seemed to give sharper images in th middle of the zoom range. I like the versatility of the lens
01-06-2015, 05:52 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Have uploaded some photos now (I believe).
Give it another go. I'm see any of your postings with your images anywhere, thanks.
01-06-2015, 08:11 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Give it another go. I'm see any of your postings with your images anywhere, thanks.
Not sure what the most appropriate way is to share images. Giving embedding here a try:

01-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #11

Hi Kerrowdown,
Here is the posted gallery of Alzheim:

Alzheim's Album: Kruger park in October 2014 - PentaxForums.com

Alzheim, 18-135 WR is excellent lens, it has been always delivering for me. On the top of that the weather resistance is awesome for dealing with the Canadian weather (it proved to be really solid in snow and heavy rain).