Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
Pentaxian

New K-50 owner.

I was on the fence with multiple cameras last December. I was looking at replacing my 6 year old Sony A200 body with a new Sony A77II, but even though I could get the A77II with a battery grip from B&H for about $900, it just seemed too expensive. I don't like the entry level A58 either.

Then I was looking at getting a Sony A6000 & a Sony A5100, but after looking at the cost of some of the Sony e-mount lenses, I changed my mind. They were a bit too pricey. That & I have been spoiled by IBIS on my A200 & cheaper cost of a-mount lenses.

I had seen the K-50 a while ago, but never really took it serious. I even compared some of the jpegs to other camera jpegs on Imaging-Resource & had found that ISO 800 & higher jpegs started getting really blurry, even without noise reduction. I wasn't too pleased with the higher ISO jpeg image quality of the K-50 & other Pentax cameras.

However, in December when I was just about to pull the trigger on the A77II, I took a quick glance at the Pentax K-50 on B&H. I noticed that they had the K-50 with the 18-55 & 50-200 for only $527. I said, "Hmmm...................". Then I looked at the 50mm prime & 35mm prime. They were dirt cheap. I added them to the cart & when I saw the $789 shipped to my door price I said, "Ohhh?" Then it occurred to me, "What if I got a few high ISO DNG files from Imaging-Resource & process them in Photoshop? Hmmm...." So I went over to Imaging-Resource, pulled a few ISO 800 to ISO 6,400 DNG files & processed them in Photoshop. "Holy dog poo!", was my immediate reaction! The jpegs that I pulled out of the DNG files had all the detail in them. It was like a crazy amount of detail difference between the in camera jpeg engine & DNG Photoshop processing from ISO 800 & beyond. I started thinking, "I can just shoot RAW all the time & then have Photoshop automatically batch small jpegs out of the DNG files after & if I need a large print, I can process a full sized TIFF for a print later!"

To make a long story short, I got that black K-50 with the kit lenses that also included a free small Pentax flash, an extra red K-50 body for my wife, the 50mm, the 35mm, a Pentax AF360FGZ II flash, 2 extra batteries, & 2 of the AA battery holders for roughly $1,600 to my door.

I'm a pretty happy guy. My wife & I can now go shoot in just about any weather condition. There was no way that I would have gotten from Sony that I was able to get from Pentax. I would have spent about $2,500 for the Sony A600 & A5100 e-mount stuff equivalent or about $2,900 for the A77II with additional lenses & a flash that I wanted to get.

I already have some photo ideas that I would have never been able to do with the Sony cameras due to their lack of weather sealing. It looks like I'll be shooting with Pentax cameras for a long time.

01-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
And I think you will like them too. Just wait till you start collecting the old ff lenses that are still quite plentiful. Come to think of it, I only have one of the new space age lenses. 99% of my lenses are oldies but goodies.
01-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, another wise individual seeing the light, that only comes from being a Pentax owner.
01-05-2015, 02:36 PM   #4

I've been using my K-50 for about four months now, after upgrading from an older Pentax, and I love it. My budget doesn't leave a lot of room for gear, but the image quality and handling of this camera are amazing, especially for the price I paid!

01-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome.

@Rimfiredude mentioned one of the big advantages of Pentax: the wonderful array of legacy lenses. You'll have lens addiction before you can say "Super Takumar".

You have just discovered the other: this site. It's a gold mine.
01-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes. I have already looked at some older Pentax lens databases & now I'm looking at eBay for some dirt cheap manual primes.

I saw that Pentax will probably have the K-50 replacement out sometime later this year. Good news for me. I'll be getting that replacement when it gets replaced by the upcoming replacement. I figure in about 2 to 3 years from now. I tend to ride older, but still very good technology for cheap! If I had bought the K-50 back in 2013, I'd probably be pretty bummed that I paid about +-$850 for the body & 18-55 kit lens. I got that combo plus 3 lenses more for less than $800 now. I would have paid over $1,500 for the same stuff a couple of years ago. I'm hyped!