Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2015, 06:44 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm here to stay...

Hello to all who care for my existence...

haha for real though, I have been looking at buying into the DSLR system for quite some time and after some considerable research I am running with the Pentax lineup.

I have friends that fight over which of their 'Canikons' are better and honestly I just sat back for a while and said, ya know Pentax makes some good gear too. They all just looked at me and laughed like I was a total noob for saying that. Well to be fair I am a noob at this. But to also be fair, Pentax does have some incredible gear, and the weather sealing at an entry-level DSLR is key to me.

So here I am and I'm here to stay!

I'll be in and out of the forums, feel free to shoot some advice if you guys want!

BTW, I'll be purchasing my first DSLR in about two weeks. Going with the K-50!
Let me know if you have any lens suggestions. I want about 11 different ones right now but I know that's not in the budget

01-09-2015, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #2

Get a weather resist lens and along your K50 run it through water in front of your Canikon friends and see who has the last laugh hahahha.
BTW enjoy your Pentax system amd have fun!
01-09-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xanis Quote
Get a weather resist lens and along your K50 run it through water in front of your Canikon friends and see who has the last laugh hahahha.
Thanks Xanis!

BTW, I've been looking at old M and A lenses. Are these decent options for the price point?
I don't mind manual focus... Actually prefer it to an extent.

But they are not WR I assume. So no shooting in the waterfalls with vintage lenses?
01-09-2015, 07:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! M and A lenses are excellent, and good value. Better value of you have the patience to wait for the right deal, of course.

The vintage lenses aren't WR, but a few drops of rain won't hurt. Just be sensible about it. That goes for WR lenses too, btw - they are not water proof! But perfectly safe to use in a downpour, no problem.

01-09-2015, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #5

I took my WR lenses to Niagara Falls and had a great time making people heads turn lol.
01-09-2015, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
BTW, I'll be purchasing my first DSLR in about two weeks. Going with the K-50!
Let me know if you have any lens suggestions. I want about 11 different ones right now but I know that's not in the budget
Welcome abroad!

I have a suggestion, if you find the kit with 18-135mm WR and you can afford it, it is the best way to start (just my opinion).
18-135mm is a very good lens which covers a big range and it is WR. Then, you can add some primes (50mm 1.8, 35mm 2.4, A series primes... These lenses are quite cheap compared with the quality).
With the 18-135mm you have the chance to test a big focal range and find out what you prefer, then you can buy all the lenses that you want.
I wish someone else gave this advice to me, but it is my fault since when I was going to buy the camera I wasn't a Pentax Forums member.
Have fun and let us know what you will take in the end.
01-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #7
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xanis Quote
If you do this, ensure the seals are all solid before attempting to demonstrate it for others.. otherwise it could get.. well not pleasant for you.
01-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
They all just looked at me and laughed like I was a total noob for saying that
Welcome to the forum, aye but they don't know is... that's what makes us special.