Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-11-2015, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello from Raincouver in the Wet Coast

Hi Everyone in the Pentax Universe:

Greetings from the lovely city of Vancouver, also known as Raincouver in the Canada's Wet Coast.

I have been in the shadow visiting the Pentax Forum since April last year when I decided to pick up photography again after a 20-year hiatus. Today is a milestone. Am joining my first ever photography forum. In fact, this is my first online forum ever.

Here's how I was introduced to the Pentax brand: For my university graduation gift, my late father gave me a KX with an SMC Pentax 50mm f1.4 lens in 1977. Since then I have had a series of Pentax film SLRs and M and A lenses. Last year, I got myself a K10D and was happy I could use my old lenses from the 70s and 80s. Then I upgraded to a K5 plus a couple of DA zooms a few months ago. Having these weather-sealed and cold-resistant dSLRs has been a huge advantage in this part of the planet.

I enjoy taking pictures of landscapes and occasionally dogs and bird. So am blessed to be living in this place of immense beauty and where 36 out of every 100 households have at least one dog (2006 data). I also live not too far from three bird sanctuaries. Hence, I can live here for eternity and never run out of subjects. (By the way, one of my best buys recently is the SMC Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 AL [IF], which has altered radically the way I approach landscapes.)

Am looking forward to learning in depth --- both aesthetically and technically --- from my participation in this forum

Warm regards,

Charlie

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by chmance; 01-12-2015 at 11:37 PM.
01-11-2015, 06:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The picture has just about everything...Mountains, water, fog, people, wildlife, boats and interesting lighting. There must be a fish jumping out of the water somewhere. Sounds like a winner to me.
01-11-2015, 06:46 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by chmance Quote
lovely city of Vancouver
Welcome to the forum, my youngest daughter spent a few weeks there last year and had a great time, kept sending back images of... to quote her words "amazing food".
01-11-2015, 08:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Charlie! Beautiful intro image. Looking forward to seeing more.

01-11-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Vancouver!

Welcome
01-11-2015, 05:14 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
So am blessed to be living in this place of immense beauty and where 36 out of every 100 households have at least one dog (2006 data). I also live not too far from three bird sanctuaries. Hence, I can live here for eternity and never run out of subjects. (By the way, one of my best buys recently is the SMC Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 AL [IF], which has altered radically the way I approach landscapes.)
I enjoy taking pictures of landscapes and occasionally dogs and bird. So am blessed to be living in this place of immense beauty and where 36 out of every 100 households have at least one dog (2006 data). I also live not too far from three bird sanctuaries. Hence, I can live here for eternity and never run out of subjects. (By the way, one of my best buys recently is the SMC Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 AL [IF], which has altered radically the way I approach landscapes.) Am looking forward to learning in depth --- both aesthetically and technically --- from my participation in this forum Warm regards,
Welcome to the forum, glad to hear about this. I enjoy birds too. Send us some rain down here please... we've been dry for a little now
01-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
The picture has just about everything...Mountains, water, fog, people, wildlife, boats and interesting lighting. There must be a fish jumping out of the water somewhere. Sounds like a winner to me.
Thanks rimfiredude for the welcome. Yes, that photo describes what Vancouver is all about and more.

01-11-2015, 09:44 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

Please remember that those old film lenses are NOT weather resistant. Therefore, even if your camera body is weather resistant, your system (body and lens together) is NOT protected.
01-11-2015, 09:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Please remember that those old film lenses are NOT weather resistant. Therefore, even if your camera body is weather resistant, your system (body and lens together) is NOT protected.
Thanks for the warning : )

---------- Post added 01-11-15 at 08:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, my youngest daughter spent a few weeks there last year and had a great time, kept sending back images of... to quote her words "amazing food".
Your daughter is right kerrowdown. Vancouver is the land of amazing food served by many one-off restaurants.

---------- Post added 01-11-15 at 08:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Welcome to the forum Charlie! Beautiful intro image. Looking forward to seeing more.
Thanks Steve. By the way, I like your signature line; initially though i thought you were referring to Pentax ME. LOL!

---------- Post added 01-11-15 at 08:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Vancouver!

Welcome
Thanks Earl. Glad there's a fellow Vancouverite in the Pentax universe. Please let me know if you have a group meet here in Vancouver that is open for me to join. I would love to learn from you guys.

Last edited by chmance; 01-12-2015 at 11:38 PM.