Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2015, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #1

Just got a Pentax K1000!

Just saying hi

I'm really excited to learn film photography!

01-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! There are a number of film shooters here who have a wealth of knowledge (I'm not one of them)
01-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sawthetha Quote
Just saying hi

I'm really excited to learn film photography!
Congratulations!

I started in about 1984 with a Pentax K-1000--a great way to really learn about photography.I'd still have it now if it weren't for the cost of film...and developing.
01-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Welcome! There are a number of film shooters here who have a wealth of knowledge (I'm not one of them)
I'm sure you know a fortune more than me 😉

I'm really excited to learn and maybe one day contribute to this community!

01-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I still have mine. Even popped a few of my old lenses on my k-3 for fun. I used my k1000 through high school and college photography classes.
01-12-2015, 11:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Welcome
Have fun learning film the k-1000 is a great camera to learn on.
I find it more enjoyable but that comes from mostly having manual focus lenses.
01-13-2015, 12:02 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hray Quote
Congratulations!

I started in about 1984 with a Pentax K-1000--a great way to really learn about photography.I'd still have it now if it weren't for the cost of film...and developing.
Thank you! Hopefully the secondary costs won't be too overbearing. My friend who's a photography major says I should get a kit and develop my own film, so maybe that might be more cost effective, if not a bit time consuming.

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I still have mine. Even popped a few of my old lenses on my k-3 for fun. I used my k1000 through high school and college photography classes.
I'd like to keep this for a while! Do modern Pentax lenses fit this mount?

QuoteOriginally posted by malinku Quote
Welcome
Have fun learning film the k-1000 is a great camera to learn on.
I find it more enjoyable but that comes from mostly having manual focus lenses.
I find it really appealing that I'm in control of everything with this camera (aside from the very convenient light meter)!
01-13-2015, 06:58 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Lenses for Pentax that are from the film era work fine on digital cameras... But the question you asked was can you use modern lenses on your film camera, and the answer is not simple.

Some modern Pentax lenses lack an aperture ring, those lenses can work on later film bodies like the PZ-1, but would be wide open all the time on your k1000. Note that these lenses were made even before film bodies were no longer available.

Additionally, the current Pentax bodies all use a sensor size based on the APS film size not standard 35mm which has resulted in lenses that often will not cover the entire 35mm frame, they can leave parts of the film unexposed or exposed but badly vignetted. Since Pentax no longer makes use of a full 35mm sized sensor, none of their current lenses except a very few marked "D FA or FA" are certified to work fully with that size (including film). Several people have tested modern "DA" lenses and found that many do provide acceptable results with only minor vignetting. Look for threads that say, Full Frame tested.

So the short answer is that there are some modern lenses that would work. BTW, the history of the k mount is an article on the site you could read for more details.

01-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, enjoy that "new" K1000.