Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2015, 05:44 AM   #1

Need advice

I want to buy Pentax K3. But some of my Canon holder friends are saying that Pentax k3's autonomous is not so good. Is that true?
Advance thanks

01-14-2015, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #2

Sometimes, my K-3 will just up and take pictures by itself - even if I've left it at home while I'm at work! I'd say its autonomous is working just fine...
01-14-2015, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Meherab Quote
I want to buy Pentax K3. But some of my Canon holder friends are saying that Pentax k3's autonomous is not so good. Is that true?
Advance thanks
That's because for the price point Canon has nothing to compare to it !
I have a K3 and wouldn't even consider Canon at all. A K3 IS a top shelf Camera. Its marketed for less $$$ and for Smart people that could care less about Branding or competing with the Big Two camera makers.
And Im not sure what your asking about being Autonomous ?
If you haven't owned a DSLR before.....get yourself a K50 ...... It smokes most Canon cameras and is an excellent bargain. Has features you will not easily outgrow for years to come , is body shake reduction for all lenses , is weather resistant , has focus peaking , and is much tougher than the plastic fantastic Canon Bodies.
If you think getting a Pro Camera of any brand is going to make you a better photographer....forget about it.
Avoid the K3 if its your first DSLR as it is very unforgiving with its High MP sensor in inexperienced hands......get a K50 instead....you wont regret it.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-14-2015 at 06:07 AM.
01-14-2015, 06:08 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks everyone

---------- Post added 01-14-15 at 07:15 PM ----------

Does Pentax k3 have any auto focus issue?

---------- Post added 01-14-15 at 07:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
That's because for the price point Canon has nothing to compare to it !
I have a K3 and wouldn't even consider Canon at all. A K3 IS a top shelf Camera. Its marketed for less $$$ and for Smart people that could care less about Branding or competing with the Big Two camera makers.
And Im not sure what your asking about being Autonomous ?
If you haven't owned a DSLR before.....get yourself a K50 ...... It smokes most Canon cameras and is an excellent bargain. Has features you will not easily outgrow for years to come , is body shake reduction for all lenses , is weather resistant , has focus peaking , and is much tougher than the plastic fantastic Canon Bodies.
If you think getting a Pro Camera of any brand is going to make you a better photographer....forget about it.
Avoid the K3 if its your first DSLR as it is very unforgiving with its High MP sensor in inexperienced hands......get a K50 instead....you wont regret it.
Thanks

01-14-2015, 06:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks everyone

---------- Post added 01-14-15 at 07:15 PM ----------

Does Pentax k3 have any auto focus issue?
No. Simple as that. Its low light focus is actually outstanding. The other responses have been accurate. Canon has nothing to compare to the K3 at <$1000. Features are extensive and with Canon at $800-900 you get a lot less.
01-14-2015, 06:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The comparisons I've seen show at the same price level, as Drwrm says, Canon or Nikon hold no advantage. If you want to spend $8000 then yes there is a big advantage to the professional systems. Pentax narrowed the autofocus gap with the K5 series and closed that gap with the K3. Your friends likely are using old information.

Lenses make a difference with autofocus as well, and the K3 has a much faster focus screw for the mechanical focus lenses. The new line of autofocus DC motors on the motorized focus lenses like the 18-135 are very quick as well.
01-14-2015, 07:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I would really suggest you go to a store and hold a K-3 in your hands. Then hold a Canon camera of similar cost. See which fits you better, which one seems more solid.
Thing is, the K-3 has been on sales recently (holidays in December, and now because Pentax might soon be announcing a new camera), so you can get it for a really great price, often with a genuine grip or standard DA 50mm f1.8 lens (budget lens, but great IQ).
Also, the K-3 has the latest Pentax AF system, better than the previous generations.

01-14-2015, 07:29 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Advance thanks

I don't know what you mean by autonomous, but I will guess that you mean auto focus.

I did a side by side comparison between a Pentax K5 and a Canon 7D when I was first camera shopping. As a system the Pentax won hands down. It out performed the 7D in almost every aspect. True Canon might be better at video, but I have never still to this day made a video so who cares from my perspective.

I did the pricing between the two and the whole line up for Pentax at the time was about 60% of the cost of a similar line up from Canon.

So I got better quality, lenses that are equal to L series glass, and an overall better performer for almost half price compared to Canon.

With the K3 Pentax has made some serious improvements over previous models (when I bought in) including a much improved auto focusing system.

Canon might be a smidgin faster but its not as accurate so you'd still be missing shots. None the less NO camera system is perfect. NOTHING.

But it might also be worth noting that it also depends on the kind of shooting you want to do. I rarely do shooting where I need an extra .05 milliseconds in AF speed.

Canon also has a lot longer and a bigger set of lenses... if you can afford them. But like I said, it all depends on what you plan to do.

For what the K3 is designed to do, it's hands down in real terms a far better performer than it's Canon counterpart. Yes there might be this function or that feature that might be different, but overall, K3 wins. Big time.
01-14-2015, 08:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canon got better tracking for sure but the K-3 is no slouch.
01-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But some of my Canon holder friends are saying that Pentax k3's autonomous is not so good. Is that true? Advance thanks
If you compare high end pro Canon gear to k-3, yeah Canon probably wins. But on similar models, similar price point, k-3 wins at everything except tracking and it is close enough there that unless that is all you do it is not an issue. If all you shoot is sports or flying birds than I would consider Canon but for everything else k3 is better, better built and less money.

Would not have been able to say that even a few years ago but right now k-3 is the best APS-C camera out there. Considering how long Pentax has been the 'also ran' brand and not really competitive, it feels good to be able to say that.
01-14-2015, 12:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If all you shoot is sports or flying birds than I would consider Canon
This is about the best advice here to me.

The real issue is: what are your shooting requirements? If you don't shoot high-speed sports or moving birds than the K-3 should serve you well. Your friends are not you.

I'll speak from real life experience here, having owned the K-3, the Canon 7D, and the Canon 5DMK3 and using all three for shooting sports and birds. Yes, these two Canon models perform noticeably better with tracking moving objects--but for more static stuff the K-3 is just fine. Again, it depends on your shooting needs. Do realize that you are buying into a whole camera system here and if you see yourself as growing your skills and gear needs over time, then you should look at the whole selection of lenses both from Pentax (and Canon) as well as third parties such as Tamron, Sigma, and Tokina. Also look at size and weight factors--in many cases Pentax will offer more higher performing lenses at a lighter weight and smaller size. That is probably the key differentiator to me besides Pentax bodies being remarkably cheap to purchase these days.

One final piece of advice: in 2015 all DSLRs are very very good if not excellent.

M
01-17-2015, 03:42 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
That's your questions answered so I'll just say welcome to the forum.