Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Howdy from the Uk!

Heya, I joined mainly to ask some questions before I delve into the world of D-SLRs (I use a Lumix FZ20 for my digital, and a Centon K100 (pentax K mount) for the film), but thought it to be rude if I didn't fill this out :P

I've always been awed by SLRs, always had this fascination with the way they unpack these fragile devices, attach lenses, the weight and feel of them in your hand. Amusingly, when my step father was around, he had a massive collection of cameras and lenses, but I had no interest in it. When he passed away, I started getting into it, but by then everything was sold for a few pounds, even SILK tripods and the like.

My FZ20 is pretty good at being 'semi-pro', but I've got annoyed with it as the bellowing of the lens going in and out sucked in a particle of dust to the internal lens, and in the end, it's just a bridge... it's still not an SLR. It holds your hand (which I do need, to start with), but I want to eventually have it 'let go', and give me full control, which is when it's going to kick up it's feet and fall over.

The camera I'm looking at is the K100d Super, it's currently in Argos for 250 with a kit lens, and (hopefully) my Centon 70-210mm "Auto Focus" lens should fit it (it has a '(A)p' setting on it, and multiple contacts on the bayonet side, so i'm guessing it's a KA?), which should give me a manual zoom to mess with until I pick something else up.

The thing that is confusing me by the by, is "prime". I worked out "pancake" is called that because it's really small, but what is a "prime" lens? I read a guide on Digital Camera Resource, about it's advisable to have a 50mm prime, but I've no idea what to look for.

Wow. introduction that's mostly "ye olde days", life story and questions. Not a good start!