Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #1

Hi PentaxForums!

Hi PentaxForums!

it's been almost a year from my K-50 purchase and you helped me a lot all along the way of acquiring my gear. This great source of knowledge facilitated making decisions and assessing what might be the optimal way for me. Now, I believe it is time to start paying my share, contribute to this forum and perhaps be helpful to others in the same way this forum was helpful to me. As a starter, here is a little story of how I got to purchase a Pentax dslr.

Ok, so about a year ago I got back from a vacation and was going through the pics I had taken. I have to say I never owned a camera myself and was always borrowing one from friends and family, and the compact accompanying me to Paris was the same case. Going through the pictures was this time somehow more painful than usual - blurry... shaky, grainy, uncrispy, flat (but at least some) photos. Over the years I got finally fed up with the compact cameras and the all-automatic all-in-one photographic devices, where all the responsibility is taken by the camera software and the only creative decision user is left to make is the compostition of the picture. I suddenly started longing for a good camera which would enable me to take good pics even in difficult situations and let me be more involved in the process of acquiring pictures. At this very point I felt ready to became an owner of DSLR!

But now which one? Black one, silver, thick or slim, shiny or classic? Which brand do I even start with? And sir... what exactly do you mean by full-frame? As you can see, I was almost complete newb. Most of people I knew were shooting with either Ca or Ni. Therefore I started browsing entry-level dslr made by those companies. And then I saw some review, in which Pentax k-5 was compared to some Nikon body. It really caught my attention, because the review was very positive about the k-5. I had hardly heard about Pentax brand before and I had very vague idea that they had something to do with cameras, so I digged it up. The fact that reviews were almost every time praising Pentax, the solid bodies were sporting weather sealing and image stabilization a lot cheaper than the overly hyped CaNi brands, which are looking at you on every corner, worked together for me that Pentax quickly became my blue-eyed boy.

One of my friends who was much more experienced in photography told me, that I should't get carried away byt specs and numbers too much, and should try how the camera would feel in my hands. So I tried several cheaper CaNi bodies that were around. They all felt somehow plastic-ky and toy-y. When I went to a shop and put my fingers on K-50, it felt very different and... it was a perfect match! I don't need to tell you, how the things proceeded, given that it was my first dslr, but you can imagine that the first week I was having it, I didn't remove my finger from the shutter button...

I will try to post some more serious stuff in future, like my personal appreciation of the gear I am so far equipped with and so on...

So long and stay focused!
mooobr

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by mooobr; 01-16-2015 at 03:19 PM.
01-16-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome the forum! Good first shots in your post. Your impressions of the Pentax brand mirrors ours. They just feel great in the hand. Looking forward to seeing more of your images.
01-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome, and thanks for the intro! Very nice pictures to start your "career" with Looking forward to seeing more!
01-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! Great introduction.

01-17-2015, 03:56 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, it's good at last that you've found your photographic needs match with Pentax cameras.
01-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums. The K50 was a great choice. Enjoy!