Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2015, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Hello from Orange County, CA

Hello, folks. I'm a new member from southern California and wanted to say Hi. I'm a novice but enthusiastic photography student (well, not a very "young" student though)

I've been using Canon systems but happened to know about Pentax cameras and became very interested. Especially, I'm shopping for K-5 IIs or K-3 at the moment. Looks like K-3 has some issues, so I'm waiting for the best deal that I can find for K-5 IIs patiently.

I've been spending pretty much time on researching pentax cameras and lenses. My plan is to get either one of the above two cameras when the next chance has come (hope it would be soon) then buy a used DA 15mm Ltd, Sigma 30mm 1.4 (or DA 40mm Ltd,) then a WR zoom (18-135 or 17-70) or 16-45. That'll make a perfect lineup for my needs.

Until then, I'm learning photography using my Canon T2i with 50mm f1.8 and Tamron 17-50. I'm adding a couple of shots from a nearby park to show some pretty scarlet leaves. Well, I wish I had taken them with K-5 IIs and 15mm LTD, but maybe next year

Hope you guys have a great day!

Gene

Attached Images

01-20-2015, 03:55 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ychousa Quote
but maybe next year
Welcome to the forum, think you'll find that's an awfully long time to wait.
01-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #3

What "issues" are you referring to with the K-3?

I previously shot with a 7D and OMD-EM5 and greatly prefer the K-3. I have had no issues with it.
01-20-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard.

You can join this group:

California Pentax Users - PentaxForums.com

And join us here for an outing:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/43-gatherings-events-groups/286407-southe...21-2015-a.html

Even with a T2i :-) I'll be leaving my Canon gear at home, though.

01-20-2015, 06:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! There are no issues with my K-3. I also have a K-5iis and it is a great camera as well.
Depending on what you shoot one of the two cameras may be more appropriate.
Meet up with us at the event SpecialK linked to above and you can check these bodies in person.
01-20-2015, 10:05 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, welcome to the forum! You can't go wrong with either body. Like crewl1 said, drop by the meetup. I'm sure one of us is willing to bring both bodies and a 15mm Ltd for you to check out.

BTW, I think I know which park you shot this at. Did you visit the plum blossom grove just up the hill from this location?
01-20-2015, 10:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

i can see why its called orange county welcome to the forums. any reason why you decided to go with 16-45 or those other wr zooms instead of tamron 17-50 on pentax? i was thinking of getting myself a tamron or sigma 17-50 one day
01-20-2015, 11:23 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your warm welcomes! I'll definitely consider attending the meet up. The K-3 issues that I found in some reviews are flapping mirror, focus problem in the corners compared to K-5 iis, not very well compatible with 3rd party lenses, again compared to K-5 series, also more noise in high ISO compared to K-5 iis, etc.. Not sure if these still exist or have been fixed by firmware upgrade, etc..

But if the image quality difference is not so much great, I'd rather buy a K-5 iis and spend $ to buy better glasses. After long hours of research, I'm pretty much determined to go with Pentax. I'll try to forget about equipment from that point on and focus on "photography." I tend to spend too much time researching gears and even though it gives me fun, that surely takes up my time to learn photography, IMO :-)

And mamba909, you know the park! Haha I was pretty sure someone would recognize it! I know the plum blossom grove-I'm waiting for the flowers to fully blossom-hope I could find a deal and get a pentax before then, but maybe too short. I guess they'll all bloom in a couple of weeks! I'll probably stick to my Canon gear for some time. Take care.

01-20-2015, 11:34 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by furryurry Quote
i can see why its called orange county welcome to the forums. any reason why you decided to go with 16-45 or those other wr zooms instead of tamron 17-50 on pentax? i was thinking of getting myself a tamron or sigma 17-50 one day
Hey, furryurry. Nice to talk to you! They're all in my list actually One of the reasons that I seriously consider Pentax is because of its color rendition. I truly like the color that Penax gears produce and 16-45 looks like it renders great color, along with good sharpness. I just want to FULLY experience Pentax color before i play with other brands such as Tamron or Sigma for a zoom. Especially I read some reviews that Tamron renders less saturated color overall with Pentax (not sure if that's correct though because with Canon T2i, it produces great color with excellent sharpness. I'll do more research about Tammy in this forum too because I really like my 17-50 for Canon.
01-21-2015, 12:12 AM   #10
Pentaxian

welcome! Is that Laguna Niguel? and now you're going to have to reveal the plum blossom secret hideout too 😊
01-21-2015, 07:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for your warm welcomes! I'll definitely consider attending the meet up. The K-3 issues that I found in some reviews are flapping mirror, focus problem in the corners compared to K-5 iis, not very well compatible with 3rd party lenses, again compared to K-5 series, also more noise in high ISO compared to K-5 iis, etc.. Not sure if these still exist or have been fixed by firmware upgrade, etc..
The two cameras have similar IQ in my opinion.
If you mainly do landscapes the k5iis will be a great fit.
If you do a lot of sports the K3 is a better option.

Of the problems you list I have heard of reports of the runaway mirror which has been addressed by firmware.
I have not had it happen.

The K3 has higher MP so naturally a bit more grain but it is easily managed in post, actually easier than K5 due to type.

I use Pentax, Tamron and Sigma lenses on my cameras regularly and have not heard of any issues with 3rd pty lenses.

As for corner focus problems, neither camera has AF sensors in the corners and the K-3 has more points in a wider array.
I never heard of or experienced this issue.
01-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
welcome! Is that Laguna Niguel? and now you're going to have to reveal the plum blossom secret hideout too 😊
No, it's Schabarum park in Hacienda Heights. The plum blossoms are beautiful there!

---------- Post added 01-21-15 at 10:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The two cameras have similar IQ in my opinion.
If you mainly do landscapes the k5iis will be a great fit.
If you do a lot of sports the K3 is a better option.
I mainly do landscape, so I think K5iis will perfectly fit. Not sure about video performance though because it only offers 25 fps. Does this constraint give any inconvenience?
01-21-2015, 11:08 AM   #13

I mainly do landscape, so I think K5iis will perfectly fit. Not sure about video performance though because it only offers 25 fps. Does this constraint give any inconvenience?
Do you regularly shoot video? If you do, shouldn't you know if 25fps will be restricting?

It's like asking "will this kit lens' f/3.5 aperture be an inconvenience?" Only you can really answer the question, based on your experience, planned use, and expected needs.
01-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Is Pentax having a fire sale is SoCal? Seems to be an influx of new members from SoCal lately. Welcome aboard!
01-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by powasky Quote
Do you regularly shoot video? If you do, shouldn't you know if 25fps will be restricting?

It's like asking "will this kit lens' f/3.5 aperture be an inconvenience?" Only you can really answer the question, based on your experience, planned use, and expected needs.
No, I don't regularly shoot videos with my DSLR. I normally use my Galaxy Note instead Therefore, I've not paid much attention about the video features overall. I just remembered I read some critics about fixed 25 fps in K-5 iis, something like it is not compatible with NTSC or something? My impression with the quick reading on that page was maybe you need to convert a video file with 25 fps to a compatible one (like 24 fps or 30 fps) using a software or something. I maybe wrong on that impression and that was why I was curious.