Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2015, 10:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Greetings from the Pacific Northwet

New guy here!

I got my first SLR camera just about 50 years ago when I learned about through-the-lens cameras from a GI while on a troopship headed to Vietnam. That was 1966! The GI had a brand spanking new Asahi Pentax Spotmatic! I was so impressed.

When I came home I resolved to get one of those incredible cameras for myself, when I decided to do amateur photography. And so I did, after saving up all my coins to buy one, I've owned #2317179 for 45 years, I figure. In time I earned to process B & W film and print my own pictures in a makeshift darkroom I made in the basement.

Over the years the camera gear went up on a shelf and was forgotten about. A couple of years ago I started playing around with DSLRs and, quite frankly, the learning curve has been very steep and for this old buzzard. Worse yet, I'm too prideful to "set it and forget it" with a camera costing in excess of 700 bucks. So, yes, they (DSLRs) do everything but fry an egg, Yes, the permutations and combinations of various elements in making a picture seem endless. Right now I'm shooting a Canon t3i....BUT....

Somehow I saw the difference in picture quality of film vs digital and was really surprised at the better product film renders when used by a good shooter. So that kind of got me re-interested in shooting film again. So, I dusted off the old Pentax Spotmatic and am waiting to get some Velvia to try my luck out. The camera seems as good as it was the day I put it away. A good article on film vs. digital here

I'm heading down to So. American in February and plan on taking both cameras with me, just for the fun of it. The nice thing about film is that there are only four things to fool with in making a picture: Speed, Aperture, Focus and ASA/ISO. Get those four things properly set up and you can make BETTER pictures than digital, I'm convinced.

I'm looking for a good Super-Takumar long lens (200mm or longer) for the Spotmatic, too. If you know of one, let me know.

01-21-2015, 03:25 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you were in Vietnam the same time I was. Thank you for the interesting introduction.
01-21-2015, 04:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome home. The Marketplace is your best bet for getting a lens in good shape. You can set up keywords so you get notified of new listing that may be what you are looking for.
01-21-2015, 04:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome here!

You seem to come from a very rainy region, I think. Or is 'Northwet' no irony and just a plain misspelling?

01-21-2015, 05:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by forest_bear59 Quote
Welcome here!

You seem to come from a very rainy region, I think. Or is 'Northwet' no irony and just a plain misspelling?
No, it's kind of a local joke around these parts.
01-21-2015, 06:30 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!
My brother lives in Portland, but spends lots of time up in the mountains. So nice up there in the primitive areas.

I like the TAv mode, you adjust the aperture and shutter speed to keep your ISO in a good range. It feels a lot like shooting film, and all the basics still apply.
01-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, interesting intro, enjoy your trip and remember to post some images on the forum when you get back.