Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2015, 08:02 AM   #1

Hello from Poland :)

Hi Girls & Guys

My name is Tom and I've been an observer of this forum for quite some time now. Although this is my first thread I have a major league question

I've been into photography for quite some time, it's one of my greatest passions in life( alongside with music ), I've had a lot of cameras over the years, and now the time has come to decide what next.

So, here's the deal:

As I mentioned, I've been shooting photos for a couple of years now started from analog cameras, then DSLRs. I've had one or two Canon's, Nikon's, experienced with Sony/Minolta and then Pentax came along. At that moment I realized, that more and more photo contracts kept coming in, so I decided to upgrade my gear. I've went for the D300s, but after a week I gave it back and bought the K-5. I was simply stunned by literally everything that camera did offer. Some time has passed and I teamed up with another photographer. He convinced me to go FF, and I sold my Pentax gear and went for the D700. Fantastic camera, built like a tank, very versatile and the images were magnificent. Last year I had to sell my gear, and went on hiatus.

The time has come to get back in business And now I have to decide which way to go. On one hand I have the Nikon D610 - FF camera, supposed to produce exceptional images, great in low light, More accessories and lenses, flash system is more advanced. But to be honest it doesn't impress me that much. I had the opportunity of testing it and it was ok but I didn't go " Oh my God this is it!" - the D700 was more of what a camera should be than this. But it's an FF. I've thought about the Canon 6D but it's too expensive.

And then I came across the K-3. I've seen what it can do, took some pictures, and I was really happy with the results. besides that this monster is packed with so many features, that I think it covers everything I need. Now I've done my homework and made list of those lenses that could give me the "ff-like" angle of view. The only thing is that here in Poland, Pentax isn't that popular, therefore a lot less accessories. The lenses that Pentax have are ... hmmmm... a bit quirky( But in the good way ). The only thing that is pulling me away is the popularity of this system in my country and that it's a crop sensor. I know this might sound dumb.

Any word of advice would be very useful!

Cheers,
Tom

01-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome. I can only suggest that you stick with a camera you like, as long as it suits your needs, and don't worry about the brand name.

I use a K-5, it does what I need it to do, and I've won some contests with it. I don't have a FF DSLR, but I have used film SLR's and I can't say that the crop factor has been a problem for me. I stuck with Pentax when I chose a DSLR because I shot with a K-1000 for about 25 years and loved it, and heard that Pentax K-7/K-5 offered that same ease of use with great results. That I could use my old lenses was a big factor as well.

As for availability of gear, that can be a problem, unless you deal with merchants who have good return policies. I buy a lot of my gear used, there are a lot of great Pentax lenses, mostly manual, going for low prices on this forum and elsewhere.

Good luck on your choice, I look forward to seeing your pictures, and to visiting Poland again so I can take more of my own.
01-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome Aboard. Witamy na pokładzie !
01-24-2015, 04:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
Docrwm: Dzięki Wielkie

Robgski: Thank You very much for Your reply - I think that's what I needed

Cheers,
Tom

01-24-2015, 05:24 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Witamy! Jest nas wielu
01-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TeZe Quote
Docrwm: Dzięki Wielkie

Robgski: Thank You very much for Your reply - I think that's what I needed

Cheers,
Tom

Tom,
Serdecznie zapraszamy.

-Robert
01-25-2015, 05:29 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
The only thing is that here in Poland, Pentax isn't that popular
Welcome to the forum, that's seems to be the case pretty much worldwide that Pentax is the underdog... we know different here though.

pulling me away is the popularity of this system in my country and that it's a crop sensor
Depends on your time frame as there are rumours about FF, that said we've all been saying that for years now.
01-26-2015, 06:29 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! The Pentax system does what I want - though I can't seem to save the money for a DA300 yet...

01-30-2015, 02:29 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks guys

So after digging into the " pentax or nikon" dilemma, I've finally decided to go for the k3

I came across the prestige edition - any comments on this edition?

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited by TeZe; 01-30-2015 at 05:42 AM.
01-30-2015, 06:30 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks guys

So after digging into the " pentax or nikon" dilemma, I've finally decided to go for the k3

I came across the prestige edition - any comments on this edition?

Cheers,
Tom
It looks outstanding.