Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Heya from the UK

I had wrote this out originally but it either didn't post or vanished :/

Well, I'm a newbie to cameras although been around them all my life. Currently own a Canon A540 and Panasonic Lumix FZ20, but want something a little more professional, maybe something that will push me to learn to use it, instead of having an "auto" mode that just holds my hand from start to end.

I was looking at the K100d Super, as Argos have it for 249 with a kit lens, in theory it's perfect for me, something 'cheap' (cheap?! My FZ20 was 120 from ebay!), that I could buy some older lenses for, maybe hopefully my Centon 'Auto Zoom' 70-210mm pentax mount will fit it! (It has the bayonet fitting with multiple contact points, one of which sticks out if you set the ring to (A)p mode)

Anyway, Hopefully I can learn some things, as I'm a little confused on the terms (Like what is a Prime), and on what to look for in regards to 'legacy' lenses (or glass I think the common term is now?)

The other thing is, for 289, I can get a Sony A200, or for 299, a refurb K70s. I know the K100d Super is actually better than most of the DSLRs in it's bracket, but does it beat both of those two too? I've done searches but nothing comes up, only D40 vs K100d Super (which the K100d wins).

05-28-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey Sov!

What I had that pushed me into learning exposure, etc, was my dad's K1000, since it was completely manual!

The K100D Super ought to be a great fit!
05-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to Pentax digital!

I don't know anything about those other cameras as I've shot Pentax for all my SLRs, but I can help you with some of the terms.

Prime lens - A fixed focal length lens, a lens with NO ZOOM.

What to look for in legacy lenses - check the lens reviews on this site. They will help you get some of the best image quality for the least amount of money. Tremendous resource in those reviews.

The K100D will fit & use any Pentax lens ever made, no worries.

A few of the Ricoh lenses have a pin that may cause it to get stuck on your camera, and a few old non Pentax lenses have an extended shroud adjacent the aperture lever that can interfere with camera operation. Other than that, anything goes! You can even utilize the old M42 screw mount lenses with an adapter.

Last edited by TourDeForce; 05-30-2008 at 10:23 AM.
05-30-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm still torn with camera decisions. The K100d Super keeps offering me things that look fancy, such as the top LCD and the ability to do.. i think HDR (bracketing?) but then I do wonder are these things that I'll need or use at the start? I've been offered a D40 with it's kit lens for 219, which is less than the 279 of the K100d kit... but i dunno.

D40 seems easier to start with, it's got help guides and the like, while the K100d, it seems (i might be wrong, i'm going off reviews) that it's not so helpful towards new people.

I really am in a tizzy here heh. I'm going up town tomorrow, and i'll try to get hands on with the recent D40 re-make, and the K200d, and hopefully decide from that. I have decided though, if i do go for the D40, I'll pick up a K200d as the next camera. I own two P&Ss (well, three, four with the phone cam), why shouldn't I have two DSLRS too? :P

05-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The D40 is a very nice package, however in the head to head comparisons I've read, the Pentax wins on performance. Pentax also will typically win in the hands on feel, as you'll see for yourself tomorrow.

Features and ease of use for new photographers? Automatic & picture modes on the dial, preset scene modes in the menu, and a friendly community of fellow shutterbugs to turn to... I don't see how you can go wrong with either camera.

Price some Nikon lenses, then price the Pentax equivalent.
05-30-2008, 10:41 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I know it's awful to come to a pentax forums and consider an alternative. I had been fixed on the K100d Super while it was 249, then they raised the price by 30, and when I started to look around at a cheaper price for it, found that at that price range, I can get other cameras too.

I'll get hands on today as I said, and then decide. Maybe the store also still has it for 249 which means I'll be having a pentax today :P
05-31-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I thought I better update.

I've ordered the D40, sorry. Not because the Pentax wasn't better, it's just that the cost of the K100d Super, plus batteries (Sanyo Enloops), would take it to 300, where although a propriatory battery is irritating if it dies in the field, the D40 is "all in", for that 219.

However, I'll stay here if that's ok. I'll join a Nikon forum to get help with the D40, but I'm determined to pick up a K200d up once they drop a little lower in price.

In the hands on, just to say, the K200d (I'm assuming it's a similar body to the K100d super) was heavier, but felt 'meatier' in the hand, where the D40 was smaller. The Lens on the Pentax was also very nice, where the D40's felt plastic-y and cheap. The manual focus also was decent, it has this red square that pops up in the middle saying "hey look you've got focus", where the D40 has a little green light next to the battery. If the camera had been cheaper, I'd have gone for it hands down. It's just, I'm a student, I get something like 50 a week, and got to fork out for so much stuff, that although it's not as good, the cheaper D40 can tide me over until the K200d drops in price, then I can either get the K200d on top of it, or replace one with the other.

Anyway. Thank you for the help, and as I said, i'll stay around (I still have my Centon film camera, which is a rebranded manual pentax), because although this is specific to Pentax, alot of the rules and guides to photography are still the same, right?
05-31-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The k200d is actually more like the K10, weatherproofing & all.

Congratulations on the Nikon though. As I said, it puts together a very nice package and appeals to a lot of people.

06-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hopefully it will apeal to me. I picked it on cost concerns, and I can see this coming back and biting me on the bum if it turns out the extra 50 or so would have been better spent on the Pentax ;P

I have sighted up my first purchase for it though, a Loreo 'lens-in-a-cap'. It's cheap and perfect for silly things I'd like to do... until I can afford a holga body-cap.